× MCAT & USMLE

Any Aug MCAT takers?

More
13 years 11 months ago #61524 by Doc201X

Originally posted by Mya:
I know we discussed this in the distant past. But, what would be the advantage of getting an MD/PhD vs. MD alone? You can still do research, and become a pathologist, teach, whatever, with an MD alone. Is it easier to get grants n' such with a PhD? And is it "easier enough" to be worth the extra time and energy getting the PhD?

Well it's becoming more than obvious to me that maybe "the man upstairs" has another plan for me that doesn't include the PhD. But like I've said before, I'm gonna take it (an acceptance) anyway I can get it! :D

So while I think it's worth the time an energy, I'm going to stop trying to force this thing and just go with the flow. :cool:

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #61525 by MTaylor
Noooo...I didn't mean that you *shouldn't* get the PhD...just that I don't see a huge advantage. That doesn't mean there isn't an advantage...

<a href=" www.coilyembrace.com " rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> www.coilyembrace.com </a>

More
13 years 11 months ago #61526 by Doc201X

Originally posted by Mya:
Noooo...I didn't mean that you *shouldn't* get the PhD...just that I don't see a huge advantage. That doesn't mean there isn't an advantage...

I must have misspoke, I didn't think you thought it was a disadvantage. :) But for anyone who's interested in a career in research, it's a huge advantage. I know MD's can get research training after graduation, but almost all of the ones I met at the NIH were REALLY sweating the expectation level (like a PhD) of being able to produce. Medical schools don't in my opinion teach you how to be a scientist not that you can't learn to be one. But after 1 or 2 research fellowships post residency, a person could have just gone MD/PhD in the same time and with far less "stress" post residency.

www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
13 years 5 months ago #61527 by Striving2succeed
Any August 2006 MCAT takers or retakers? Study plans?

~Perpetually Striving2wardssucess!<br />Philippians 4:13<br />I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

More
13 years 5 months ago #61528 by Doc201X
Count me in! Here's my schedule:

Monday - Chem 1, Bio 1 - Review chapter, use textbook if needed for clarification, do problems in the EK 1001 questions book

Tuesday - Phy 1, Chem 1 - Review chapter, use textbook if needed for clarification, do problems in the EK 1001 questions book

Wednesday - Bio 1, Phy-1 - Review chapter, notes, use textbook if needed for clarification, do problems in the EK 1001 questions book

Thursday - O. Chem 1, Bio 1 - Review chapter, use textbook if needed for clarification, do problems in the EK 1001 questions book

Friday - Review notes, do 30 minute lecture exams, and EK mini MCATS

Sunday - AMCAS 1 - Yes, I'm old enough to STILL have these old MCATS around. Of course, the exam isn't anywhere close to what it used to be, but it's practice thinking on my feet just the same!

This is the plan for the next 8 weeks with 1 week off for vacation.

www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
13 years 5 months ago #61529 by roadrunner
I will be there too! :boggled:

The first four weeks one subject per week starting 05/07/06:
1. gen chem
2. o-chem
3. bio
4. physics

VR will be done on weekends. Each week is broken up by a day of flash cards/review and another day of reviewing my tough spots.

After that, I will be changing subjects every two days and really focusing on trouble spots.

Of course I will have practice tests in between depending on how I am feeling.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!