× MCAT & USMLE

Step 2?

More
12 years 5 months ago #61648 by AnotherJen
Anyone out there thinking about Step 2 yet? I failed Step 1 the first time around and only did OK the second time around, so doing reasonably well on Step 2 is probably more important for me than for a lot of people. :eek:

Anyone out there w/ Step 2 studying advice? I'm planning on taking off my Nov block to study and take the exam. I'm not a great test-taker, but I've done reasonably well on the shelf exams (near the mean)... :rolleyes:

I've heard that it's good to do the MKSAP (if you haven't already done so for the med shelf) to cover major bases... And I have FA for Step 2, but I've never found FA very user-friendly...it's too much like a bunch of lists, and I don't do well w/ lists. :no:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #61649 by AnotherJen
ok, ok, so I got a little carried away by the graemlins... Step 1 was such an ordeal for me that I feel the urge to pop benzos just thinking about Step 2. (Just kidding.) Thanks to anyone w/ thoughts on Step 2!
-Jen

More
12 years 5 months ago #61650 by Drey
I'm going to take step 2 in July with about a week officially off to study :tired: but I don't see any other way around it, because I need to take it before my baby comes in september. (studying with a newborn--no thanks). My last 3rd year block is pediatrics, which for us is an in-house exam, not a shelf board, so I'm hoping I'll have a little extra time to study there. I haven't taken step 2 yet obviously, but for step 1, doing questions was what helped me the most. I plan on buying any question books I can get my hands on, and just do them.

Good luck! No benzos!

Drey

More
12 years 4 months ago #61651 by lori
Well, I was in a similar situation with not doing well on Step 1. I went through "Boards and Wards" twice, reviewed through First Aid. I reviewed Savarese the night before the exam (Osteopathic info. Most importantly, I did questions, questions, questions for 2 months before the exam (I did not take any time off so I only studied for a little bit each night). It paid off. I did pretty well on Step 2. I score in the 86 percentile which really surprised me. Do lots and lots and lots of questions. Hope this helps.

"Cure sometimes, Care always" <br />Dr. Robert Fogel. <br />"Go confidently in the direction of your dream. Live the life you have imagined". HD Thoreau

More
12 years 4 months ago #61652 by TexasRose
My Step 1 score wasn't all that hot, either. I've heard that Step 2 scores can be very different, though. I'm taking it in July as well with only 3 weeks to prepare. That's another difference I've heard about it, it takes much less preparation time.

I was never great with the basic sciences in the first place. They'd have to give me a lot of benzos to repeat Step 1 or retake preclinical courses! :lol:

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

More
12 years 4 months ago #61653 by Cabinbuilder
I studied for 8 hours a day for 6 weeks with my study group for step I, studied for approx 2 weeks doing questions for step II. I GOT THE SAME SCORE!!!! SERIOUSLY. I don't have any real advice. Both are hideous. Both you have to pass. I am going to start studying for step III and I'm not sure what to do at this point. More questions. UGH! It never ends.

LECOM Class 2006
Osteopathic Family Practice Resdincy 2009
Locum Tenens: Urgent Care/Rural Medicine.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!