× Medical Specialties

from obgyn to psychiatrist; seeking psych mentor

More
8 years 3 months ago #80910 by obgyn mom ny
Wondering if there is any ob/gyn out there who switched to psychiatry recently. I have been out of residency 8 years; doing part time ob/gyn the last 5 years. but now I want to go back into medicine full time, but I will not go back to delivering babies or doing surgeries. I am contemplating going back and doing a psychiatry residency.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #80966 by AmmaMD
My (psychiatry) has a number of people retraining from various other careers - emergency medicine, pediatrics... even literature or pure research careers. I think it always feels crummy to have to move a bit back down the training ladder a bit, but overall, I think people feel really good about it. Generally people start as an R2, so it's 3y of training.

More
8 years 3 months ago #80968 by ohiomommd
Hm... a fantastic faculty member during my training, maybe 50?, had just finished her psych residency after years of OB work. She was superb at the consult-liaison service;-)

You have an advantage in demonstrating your capability to complete residency and work in medicine. I agree with AmmaMD, it's really not that uncommon for ppl to switch into psych after another medicine career.

It might be closer to 3 1/2 years training, though, depending on your internship and whether those requirements time out. (I think, 2 mos neuro, 4 mos primary care which for some reason includes inpt medicine / peds / family medicine); 6 mos pych. I think many programs are familiar with structuring a plan for residents with a medical background.

It's still internship, no matter what -- but (at least until the new 16 hr limit on interns) call gets exponetnially better in most programs. In PGY3 and oftne PGY4 year, there's an expectation of daily "continuity" therapy / clinics, so the programs often want you rested and seeing pts all day. This may be different than many other specialities.

Good luck!!

More
8 years 3 months ago #80984 by obgyn mom ny
Thank you to AmmaMD and ohiomommd for their advice and words of encouragement.

More
5 years 10 months ago #92035 by Laughter lady
Are there any ob/ gyne out there that have switched to psych? I need to talk to someone about the change, eras process second time around, their experience. i am really considering this

More
5 years 10 months ago #92036 by Laughter lady
could I please have some details ie which program and maybe the attendings name. I want to talk to someone that has done this as I am really considering this. thanks

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!