× Medical Specialties

Gonna be a mama, decision: heme/onc or stay IM?

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #83094 by Jes
Hi all, great forum, first time poster. I just found out a week ago - that I am going to have a baby! It is our first and couldn't be more excited. :)) I am in my second year of IM residency and struggling now with what used to be a 100% sureness of wanting to be a doc in heme/onc.

After hearing the news of expecting - I have no idea what to do! I realize I need to let the news settle more but wondering, how doable is a heme/onc fellowship compared to just staying an IM attending?

I feel like I have given up so much to be where I am now that I know I want to be there for my children. I just need to hear from others their opinions.

Thanks!
Last Edit: 7 years 10 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #83095 by residentmom
I have a friend from med school who just completed her heme onc fellowship, and she had 2 children during the actual fellowship. Her husband was doing his own fellowship at the time, and they made it work. (I don't know the details of how!) So, I think motherhood should not in and of iself derail your life plans. But, maybe you deliver the baby and decide you would rather work part time for a few years, or go back to fellowship later, or whatever... and that's OK too. Most importantly, don't decide anything while you are all emotional. :)

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

More
7 years 10 months ago #83111 by Emily2651
I'm an IM R3; I have two sons, a 3.5 YO and a new baby. I'm starting my renal fellowship more or less on track next summer.

Personally, I have absolutely no desire to stay in general internal medicine. Sounds like up until a few weeks ago, you didn't either. If that's the case, I think you should do that fellowship. Primary care is a calling, in my opinion, and it's hard enough, even for people who are passionate about it.

I'd probably apply for fellowship next year, rather than this year, though. That way, you can take a decent mat leave and you won't have such a stressful time studying for boards.

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea. -- Isak Dinesen

More
7 years 10 months ago #83117 by southernmd
So many people plan to have babies in residency and fellowship - I say do what you want. Because if having a baby during fellowship/residency is going to impact stuff - pretty much every single female who wants kids + myself is screwed, because that is our plan. ;)

More
7 years 8 months ago #83719 by Johnsutan
I think southernmd is saying right and completely agree with him that some people plan to have babies in fellowship it all depends upon their decision and what actually they want .

<a href=" dextertenisonfitness.com/ " rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Boot camp Memphis tn</a>

More
7 years 8 months ago #83726 by Allerian
I was highly considering doing a Peds Rheum fellowship before our daughter. But now, don't think I really want to put my life on hold another 3 years for a cut in pay... (Peds Rheum makes less then Gen Peds/Hospitalist). So I understand how having a child can make you think differently about what you want to do. I still think rheum is interesting though.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!