× Medical Specialties

Family Practice: the question no one wants to ask

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #84674 by Cabinbuilder
Ok, ladies. Rural family practice is where it's at. Doing locums this year I made well over 200K and did about 4-5 months of vacation total.

I just signed a contract (not in Oregon) that is base pay of 400+K + bonus at a rural critical care access hospital (10 beds) where I am the only provider and cover ER, IP, can clinic during the week. I do not do OB. The outlying clinics are 300K base M-F. 2weeks on /2 weeks off. I can live anywhere.

The average pay is 180K but the big jobs are out there but you have to be willing to locate to those places.

LECOM Class 2006
Osteopathic Family Practice Resdincy 2009
Locum Tenens: Urgent Care/Rural Medicine.
Last Edit: 7 years 5 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #84676 by efex101
locums always pays more, rural pays well but you are IT good luck

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #84677 by Doc201X
Speaking of locums, everytime I read an article in this journal, I get all tingly inside:

www.todayshospitalist.comm/index.php?b=articles_read&cnt=761

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com
Last Edit: 7 years 5 months ago by .

More
7 years 5 months ago #84686 by Cabinbuilder

efex101 wrote: locums always pays more, rural pays well but you are IT good luck

Yes, my kind of job. That's why I took it. I'm so sick of begging lazy hospitalists to admit a patient for me and am told to direct them to the ER. Makes me crazy. I don't like anyone touching my people when I don't have hospital privileges but I have the skills to take care of it but my hands are tied on certain locums gig. I would rather just do it all myself.

LECOM Class 2006

More
7 years 5 months ago #84695 by efex101
dang, I wish I was a lazy hospitalist...I am sick and tired of PCP's that do not feel like they can treat "superficial skin cellulitis" in the outpatient setting...I could go on and on what asinine reasons we get called from PCP to "admit"..unfreaking real

More
7 years 5 months ago #84698 by Cabinbuilder
Wow, I have not been able to get a patient admitted to the hospital without sending them through the ER for the last 2 years. I totally WISH. The joys of rural medicine for sure.

LECOM Class 2006

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!