× Medical Specialties

neurosurgery... still a boy's club?

More
7 years 4 months ago #84871 by nads1219
Hello!
So I am currently a medical student... falling fast for pediatric surgery, specifically neurosurgery. I love the OR, love children and working with them and am confident I would be very happy in this specialty.
BUT, as a woman, and especially a mother, it's been made apparent to me that this is still one of the classic "boys club" specialties.
Even though I love it, I don't want to spend my career fighting, or be punished for having another baby during residency or practice. (my one daughter is 5 now).
Any advice from women in this field or other fields would be greatly appreciated! thank you!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #84873 by AmmaMD
I can't remember exactly which ones, but if you ever read the Mothers in Medicine blog, I think one of them is a neurosurgeon, and has posts on this topic....

My take away was: at least some programs are trying to be ok with it, but they may not be very practiced at it quite yet! And that you'd have to be choosy about your program / practice group. But that's just what I remember off the top of my head.

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #95655 by asalspammer
Response deleted by admin

aliiiiii
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Administrator. Reason: Response not relevant to topic

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!