× Medical Specialties

Didn't Match.. off cycle. Considering Psych.

More
7 years 3 months ago #85323 by MidwestGal
Hi everyone, I am a 4th year osteopathic medical student with 4 months of rotations left to complete (will finish in October). I didn't match or get any interviews because it took me 3 attempts to pass Step 2 Boards (and I did not have passing scores at that time.) I have since gotten VERY good scores. I've been struggling with depression and test anxiety the past two years which has made me a poor candidate on paper. Nevertheless I am almost a doctor!!!

I have always wanted to do pediatrics but have recently been considering psychiatry and am wondering if child psych might be a good fit for me. I only had one month of inpatient psych but enjoyed it. My concern is that with my history of depression that psych may be difficult emotionally. Do any of you in psych find this to be a challenge? How did you decide psych was the right specialty for you?

I am also considering a Traditional Rotating Internship position but it will keep me off cycle. Any tips for finding positions off the normal application cycle? Would sitting out 8 months be detrimental to my future?

Give the world your best and you'll get kicked in the teeth...<br />Give the world the best you have anyway.<br />-Kent M. Keith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #85324 by AmmaMD
Psychiatry is a wonderful fabulous field that I was a little nervous committing to and now I look back and think - how could I have hesitated? This is amazing!

Lots of people in psychiatry have a history of depression and/or anxiety. I don't think in general they find that to be any harder because of their field. Honestly, I think the people that have trouble are, if any, the people who have anxiety and/or depression but it hasn't been recognized/diagnosed/treated by the time they start - as especially when you're first training in the field I think it can feel weird to initiate help for the same issues you're learning to treat. But people who come into psychiatry aware that they have something in this realm that they need to attend to in general seem to do just fine - many, I think, find that it helps them to be empathetic.

More
7 years 3 months ago #85342 by efex101
I agree with AnnaMD that psychiatry is a wonderful field and many psychiatrists have had their own personal battle with depression/anxiety/bipolar and I think it would give you a huge insight that otherwise you may be lacking. Go for it! not sure how you would find positions off cycle, but check the student doctor network (SDN) as if I recollect (has been years since I last logged on) there was a forum for those searching for programs that were loosing residents.

More
7 years 3 months ago #85349 by Docmomof4
I have heard that students who take time off after graduation have a harder time matching than students who extend their 4th year into two, not sure if there is real data for this though....good luck!

More
5 years 9 months ago #91355 by bestfriend
r? What do you tell them about being at work? Happy to PM if you would prefer not to put any details up online. Thanks!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!