× Medical Specialties

Orthopedic Surgery- Medical Student Seeking Mentor

More
7 years 2 months ago #86380 by dancin2aMD
Hello all. I am an MS1 attending New York Medical College, and am very interested in pursuing a career in orthopedic surgery. Before medical school, I spent most of my adolescence in professional ballet training, attended New York University as a dance major, and have danced professionally throughout NYC. Because of my background I have become intimate with the sports medicine arm of orthopedic surgery and am acutely aware of the need for more women in the specialty. After working for four years (during college) in a physical therapy clinic, spending a year doing biomechanics research, and shadowing several orthopedic surgeons, I know this is a career path for me.

I was wondering if anyone can offer a perspective on being a woman in this field, and if anyone has any advice on matching into this competitive specialty and on finding summer orthopedic surgery research and clinical experience.

Thank you so much!

"In life as in dance, grace glides on blistered feet."--Alice Abrams

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #90161 by muscle pain
spam edited out.

Please don't spam Mommd.
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by .

More
6 years 3 months ago #90663 by Orthogirl
I am an orthopaedic surgeon in practice since 1992. I work full time and have 3 kids. I would be glad to communicate with you. I am in charge of resident recruitment for the orthopaedic residency in Fort Worth, Texas. I know that is a long way from New York, but we have a fantastic, well-balanced residency that is woman and family friendly. Feel free to contact me at: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marisa21

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!