× Medical Specialties

Summer Specialty?

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #89362 by bluetovah
Hi there! So this summer I have an opportunity to get a summer job/internship/shadowing at a hospital through a family member, and essentially I can choose any specialty to work in. I'm still an undergrad, so this really is just getting some exposure to the field and whatnot, not so much committing for long term.
My question is what to do! I'm really interested in obstetrics, but I'm not sure if I'd be in over my head with that one. Radiology I feel like would be a good way to get a broader exposure, and would be useful in the future. But then pediatrics, infectious diseases, and possibly pathology also sound interesting. Any tips?
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #89363 by southernmd
Don't worry about what you will learn or benefit yourself for the future - you will learn what you need to when you go to medical school. I'm assuming you are a pre-med? Just choose what you want to spend your time doing. No one will have any expectations of you. If you are interested in OB - shadow an OB. I spent a lot of time in the NNICU and OB ORs as a premed, and it was a really good experience. Radiology - you wouldn't have much patient contact. I feel like for your application for medical school, patient contact would provide more meaningful experiences to talk about with your interviewers.

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #89381 by megboo
Agree w/Southernmed about patient experience.

OB/Gyn is a great population and if you have interest, go for it. If you get the chance to follow any medcine hospitalists or outpatient clinic physicians, try to do that too. It will help give you a better idea of what's available in medicine (even though it's still only a slice of the pie).

And don't forget about surgery :)

"Some of it's magic and some of it's tragic but I had a good life all the way."<br />- He Went to Paris by Jimmy Buffett
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by .

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!