× Medical Specialties

Surgery

More
6 years 3 months ago #90598 by mdstudent14
Any surgery attending or resident Moms out there willing to discuss lifestyle here or by PM? Any regrets down the road? I know it is still early (MS3) obut being out in the clinical world now already has me rethinking my "short list." Thinking hard about adding surgery to it and looking for experiences/advice....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #91179 by mdstudent14
Any takers? As time passes, I'm becoming more confident that Surgery is the right fit for me and I would love to hear how you and your family have made the 80-hr weeks work, for so many years, with children. Any tips for connecting with them in special ways while you're away so much? Do you get to see them most days? Did you adjust bedtime? Does it get harder as they get older? What do you tell them about being at work? Happy to PM if you would prefer not to put any details up online. Thanks!

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #91202 by inquisitivli
Hi mdstudent14, glad we're in the same boat.

I just found this forum (wish I had done so earlier!) while looking for female surgeon role models. I just finished my 3rd year and am taking a gap year. Deciding between EM and surgery (and maybe family?? odd I know). I love surgery (especially the adrenaline rush of trauma) and being in the OR, but the lifestyle as people tell it is definitely causing me hesitation. I'd also love to hear from even ONE female general surgeon who has raised her kids and maintained her clinical practice. I keep telling myself that the lifestyle of a surgeon is getting better, but I have yet to find a role model in surgery who has the life I want. Thanks in advance!

More
5 years 10 months ago #91975 by AvocadoLover
I am in the same situation as you as well!

Stuck between EM and Gen Surg! I am having a very hard time deciding. I've always loved being in the ED. I like the fast pace, the variety of patient ages and conditions, procedures and the ability to play such a crucial role in the community.

However, since stepping into the OR a month ago I feel like this is the right place to be. I really love being in the OR, but I also enjoy clinic days and following our patients in house. I am really torn on what to do. Being 31 and getting married this summer also is playing into my decision. If i did EM, I could still wait to after residency to have kids. Waiting until after GS residency +/- fellowship makes the chance of having a child much less.

Any surgeons out there who can offer some advice to us ladies? Thanks :)

More
4 years 11 months ago #95440 by debbieanderson
Its great.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!