× Medical Specialties

Considering switching out of anesthesiology

More
9 months 4 weeks ago #96575 by Bingo84
Hello everyone,

I'm a mother of one currently in anesthesiology residency. I'm realizing that taking call really takes it out of me. I'm not sure I can do this as a career for a lifetime. While I know I can technically get a job at a surgicenter, it seems those jobs will be taken over largely by crnas if they haven't already. (Correct me if I'm wrong). I guess what I'm asking is for mommy anesthesiologists who have a better idea of what life is like in real world anesthesia to comment on if they think this specialty is suitable for someone who can only take very little to no call. Is this unrealistic?
In other words, I know it's possible to work mon-Friday, no call, but how common is this really?
Would you choose anesthesia again as a specialty knowing what you know now?

Any advice is appreciated!
More
9 months 4 weeks ago #96576 by sahmd
I have a job like that. It is part time, there is not a lot of money in it, but I like it. I don't know how common it is, but it probably is very dependent on the economics in the local area and how heavy the CRNA presence is there. The CRNA issue will probably get worse with time, no matter where you are. Even in practices that have call, the frequency of call is quite variable. If you join a larger group, there are more people to share call with, so you won't have to do it as often. Don't subspecialize in something that is notorious for nighttime work, such as OB. Being good at regional anesthesia will make you more valuable to surgicenters where they do a lot of ortho.

What do you want to switch into? Most specialties have some sort of call, and you will certainly have call during whatever residency you do. Are there any other factors you can modify that can help you minimize your sleep deficit? If part of it is staying up at night with a young child, that should be temporary, right? If part of it is staying up doing things at home that can be delegated to someone else, then maybe that can change. Are you able to sleep after call, to catch up? Hopefully things will get better so that you don't have to make a drastic career change.
Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!