× Medical Specialties

FP/IM combined residency info?

More
16 years 7 months ago #56950 by Kate_dup1
Anyone have any info on the FP/IM combined residency? In my heart, I am drawn to an idealized version of fam practice (which I know doesn't exist.) After starting off in med school as wanting to become an FP, switching to surgical pursuits and finally out of internship, I am again drawn to FP but am worried about being a jack of all trades, but master of none. FP seems so broad of a topic to me which was why I always thought of specializing. A combined program seems more specialized. As far as long term though, what would the draw backs be? Would it be difficult to keep two boards current? What kind of employer would be out there for me?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 7 months ago #56951 by rugratdoc
Kate, excuse me for asking...but what would be the purpose of doing a residency with both family practice and internal medicine....I am not sure of the utility of this. Why not just choose one of these primary care specialities? I do not believe this will add any crediability, or increase job satisfication by combing the two in the long run for your career.

More
16 years 7 months ago #56952 by Kate_dup1
Don't know if there is any utility other than personal, thus the question. I certainly know people who have done more than one residency and boarded in more than one area but usually they don't flop back and forth between the two. And apparently from what I have seen, there aren't very many of the FP/IM programs. I haven't looked into it enough to know whether some are fam prac based with emphasis on hosp based IM or vice versa. Need more info. To me, primary care is an area that is a calling...as is any specialty when you think about it. So, the choice on specialty wouldn't necessarily be to get the best career options it would be what made me happiest overall.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!