× Medical Specialties

ER?? Tell me more please!

More
14 years 1 month ago #57022 by MTaylor

How does residency compare schedule and workload-wise to life as an EM doc post residency

It was comparable. Our schedule was very nice for a residency program, however.

bjj,
not being able to "read their mind" in an instant during a pimp session does not extrapolate to not being able to think under pressure. I hated rounds, I hated pimp sessions. I never knew what the "exact answer" they were looking for...and didn't try to fake it. I was one of those students who stopped trying to look good on rounds. I didn't learn that way...and always knew the information, despite how "dumb" I may have come across. That's what's important...whether you know the info or not. Not whether you can spout off some random fact, or answer some "read my mind" question on a moments notice. In the ER, the true emergency things are protocaled. ACLS, ATLS, PALS, the ABCs, etc. You don't have to think...

The "hard cases" are those that require thought, not quick hands or actions.

Don't let pimping discourage you.

<a href=" www.coilyembrace.com " rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> www.coilyembrace.com </a>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #57023 by mm's mom
Just wanted to address a few of your questions:

I started my job this year after finishing residency. I work part time - 2 to 3 shifts per week, usually 8 hour shifts. I have a 7 month old baby. I work one or two weekends/mo. In my group, weekends are divided equally among everyone. We have a few people who do mostly nights and the remaining nights are divided equally (only about 10/yr for me). We are paid hourly, and since I'm part time, I get $10 less per hour than full time. I have not experienced any discrimination for working part time. I don't qualify for benefits (health insurance) as PT, but my husband gets thrm through his employer.

For me, it has been a great balance. I'm really happy with it. I feel like all my hard work of med school/residency has paid off and my life is what I wanted.

Good luck with your decision! :)

Originally posted by plum:

A few questions however.....I realize, as when I was an RN that there are many nights and weekends that need to be covered. How do ER docs like this? Is it usually done equitably or is it like CTU in my hospital....you're on nights until someone dies or retires....years!!! Are there some ER moms out there that can tell me how it is? The guy today, who is the chair of a residency program in my state said that it is even possible to start out part time. True? False? Is it a bad idea to start out part time (i.e. is it bad skill-wise?). I know of many women in medicine personally who really get the shaft working part time. They get disproportionally less pay, they are not partners, other physicians are rude/ judgemental, etc. Does this exist in ER?

The doc today said burnout is not as big a problem as is thought. Just wondering what experience any have had with this and if anyone thinks that burnout is significantly higher or lower in ER versus specialties. I'm sure this depends on the venue and let me just say that my long term interest would be a medium size community hospital, not urban or ultra rural, or academic.

Part of the reason I am attracted to this specialty is that I think I'd like the work (though obviously I need to investigate this further, but I did work as an RN for 5 years so I have an idea of what goes on in the ER) AND it would be flexible enough that my husband wouldn't have to forego his entire career. My long term goal is kids and NOT working 60-80 hours a week, more like 30-40 if I can swing it. Seems like it would be easier to swing if I were working some off hours like pms and nights. I would like to be able to make my loan payment each month and also have enough money for a decent, comfortable life.

Thanks, sorry for the ramble. Just looking for some ER input.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!