× Medical Specialties

dentistry? A better alternative?

More
16 years 4 months ago #57024 by mdtobe
I am a pre-med student and I can't imagine doing anything outside of the health-care arena. I also have tried to give consideration to job flexability, earning potential, academic challenge, and patient contact. After reading response after response about doctor burn-out, job inflexability, and mal-practice issues, I am beginning to wonder if dentistry is a more beneficial route. Has any other pre-meds also considered dentistry? From what I understand, they also can earn a lot and there seem to be a lot of openings for part-time dentists. I would love any feed-back, especially from physicians that may give me some advice one way or the other. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #57025 by rockfever
i thought about it espeically sicne dentists have no resdiency training after dental school. you just graduate and start to work. however, i just realized that it was a cop out for me and a second best alternative to medical school. maybe if i applied to medical school 2-3 x i would reconsider but I think that i have a few thinsg that i woudl have done first before thinking of dental school.

More
16 years 4 months ago #57026 by maggie52
I am an FP and I would bet you 100$ that a dentist has a better lifestyle than me- there's no way they are doing 100 hr/week and going in at night; or showing up for work at 530 am! SO you should think about it!

More
16 years 4 months ago #57027 by rockfever
there are a whole range of specialties in medicine that have decent lifestyles. i encourage you to research and weigh your options and do what you feel is best.

More
16 years 4 months ago #57028 by residentmom
Maybe I am slightly biased, because teeth gross me out. :rotfl:

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

More
16 years 3 months ago #57029 by Vibrant
:grouphug:
Being a dentist you work less hours and you won't be on call that often; therefore, you can use that time to be with your family.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!