× Medical Specialties

hematology/ oncology ( peds)

More
16 years 1 month ago #57095 by rockfever
this specialty was suggested to me by one of my professors. I do not however want to go through internal medicine to get ANYWHERE. however a clinician in ped heme/onc spoke to my class todya on sickle cell anemia. does anyone know about heme/onc speicfically peds heme onc and can tell me a little about it? thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 month ago #57096 by EM mom
OK, once again this is second-hand knowledge, but might be helpful just the same...
peds heme/onc is a 3 year fellowship after a 3 year pediatric residency. The school that I came from (U of Minnesota in Minneapolis) had a good heme/onc fellowship that was (at the time I was there) heavy in bone marrow transplant. I know Baylor in Houston has one of the best pedi residencies in the country, and also has a heme/once residency. You could always search their website... www.bcm.tmc.edu
Kind of a depressing speciatly, but there is no doubt that you would make a HUGE different in many patients and parents lives!

More
16 years 1 month ago #57097 by rockfever
well i was thinking that it is depressing also from the standpoint that with cancer there is a high morbidity rate however if you focus more on the hematology side it is stilll sad but more baout helping people cope with a lifetime blood disease that can but probably won't kill them. fromt he lecture today, that is my take on it. a patient of th electurer spoke. he is 19 and has been follweod by the same physician since he was diagnossed . they dind't have neborn screenings here 19 years ago so it was probably afetr that. anyway they seemed like good friends. so it seems liek you can develop meaningful relationships with your patients.
any opnions or more insight into this?

More
16 years 4 weeks ago #57098 by erin
My cousin just had a bone marrow transplant at Duke about 6 months ago. He is almost 2 years old and was diagnosed with Hurler's syndrome last March. I have kept up through individual websites on many of the other children on the ward. It is always heartbreaking to hear that one of the patients has died. I don't know if I could handle that. On the other hand, if I could save children's lives that would have no hope otherwise, that would be incredible. Most of the kids going through this have been given such a terrible prognosis. My cousin's parents were told that he would slowly deteriorate and die in a few years. Post-transplant, he is doing awesome and as long as they can keep the bugs away, he should live a long healthy normal life! With that said, I have the greatest admiration for the people who choose this specialty and it's definitely one I am looking into.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!