× Medical Specialties

Neurology - Family Friendly???

More
12 years 7 months ago #57115 by Lali
I'm an adult neurologist with 2 children ages 4 and 7 and work 3 days a week in private practice without taking any call. There will never be enough neurologists to keep up with demand in private practice, so that gives you some leverage. Our group has been looking for another partner for quite a while now. Doing an EMG fellowship is a good thing if you want to go into private practice, because the reimbursement for EMGs is good and allows you to reduce your patient volume. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #79336 by Neuro
Lali, not sure if you still check these boards but if so please write me - I would love your schedule! It is nice to know such a schedule is possible in the neuro world though I imagine it would be hard to find. Where are you located?Hope to hear from you!

More
7 years 6 months ago #84259 by tiggy
msk--do you know what the average maternity leave is during neurology residency? What neurology programs seemed amenable to having children during the residency?

More
6 years 1 month ago #90454 by stherling
This is probably a little late, but I think most programs in neuro are quite accepting of residents having children during residency. My program (PM me for details) is large, and almost 1/3 of the residents in the past few years had a kid during residency, most of them women, so they took maternity leave. I had my son during intern year and am now a PGY-4 expecting my second in late winter. No one has ever batted an eyelid about it, though I work hard to try to ensure that my leave doesn't screw up the schedule.

In my program the standard maternity leave is 6 weeks. To accomplish that you blow your 3 weeks sick leave and 3 weeks vacation, meaning you don't take vacation at all that year. If you time your maternity leave to be close to teh next academic year then that's not so painful, alternatively they also allow us to take separate vacation and then to fill out the 6 weeks of maternity leave we take unpaid leave.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!