× Medical Specialties

Psychiatry?

More
13 years 4 months ago #57127 by crabbygirl
Hi,
I am a medical student about to start 3rd year. I was wondering if there were any psychiatry residents or practitioners out there. I am interested in the field and was wondering about job satisfaction, lifestyle, etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #57128 by siflower
I have a friend who is a psychiatry resident, and she is only on call every 8th night, even as an intern! I think she had one Medicine month where she was q4, but there have been other times when she finished every day at noon. Not too shabby, huh?!

I can't tell you much about job satisfaction for psychiatrists once they're done with residency, but my friend is sooooo much happier than she every was in medical school.

More
13 years 4 months ago #57129 by crabbygirl
Hi again siflower, it's me from the all of a sudden post about baby crazy feelings.

Where is your friend doing her residency? I have heard that the psych residency can be pretty sweet and laidback.

More
13 years 4 months ago #57130 by AnotherJen
check out www.PsychSIGN.org :yes:
PsychSIGN is the Psychiatry Student Interest Group Network, a new group w/ sponsorship from the American Psychiatric Association. My sense is that psychiatry is still a very new field, ready for major leaps forward as neuro imaging / genetics work progresses. And by all accounts, once you're past internship the residency is very humane (depending, of course, on the specific program, etc)...

More
13 years 4 months ago #57131 by crabbygirl
Thank you for that link. I will check it out!

More
13 years 4 months ago #57132 by siflower
She's doing her psych residency at Tulane.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!