× Medical Specialties

Pathology?

More
13 years 4 months ago #57135 by Hermione
What exactly IS pathology?

Any websites you'd recommend?

Is it competitive?

Thanks!

"Any country that accepts abortion is not teaching the people to love, but to use any violence to get what they want."<br />-Bl. Mother Teresa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #57136 by Baby Einstein
Basically, the pathologist is the lab doctor. A pathologist looks at surgical specimens and biopsies both grossly and under the microscope, and does autopsies. That's for anatomical pathology. A clinical pathologist also manages the lab (blood work, microbiology, you name it). There are subspecialties, including forensic pathology, which focuses on autopsies for deaths outside of the hospital setting (like a coroner, except coroners are not docs).

It's not competitive at the moment, probably because the income is not as high as that of some other specialties, and also because the lack of patient contact is a deterrent for many. But it's a very interesting specialty with a great lifestyle!

More
13 years 4 months ago #57137 by Doc201X
Here are some good websites to look at from the MRM website:

Click on any of the links below to learn what pathologists do:

What do pathologist do? Click here to find out!
asip.uthscsa.edu/PATH_CAREER/ASIP_BROCHURE.html

United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology
www.uscap.org/

College of American Pathologists
www.cap.org/apps/cap.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=home

American Society for Investigative Pathology
www.asip.org/

As a future pathologist( ;) ) I'd have to disagree that pathology is a "lab job". Sure Clinical pathologists spend a lot of time in the lab an deven then it's mainly in a supervisory capacity, Anatomical pathologists spend most of their time in what's called a "sign out" room,where they review the histolgical slides of patient cases. These days AP's don't do thier own grossing in of lab specimens (appears to be a resident or PA job duty)so their time in the lab is almost nonexistant. Finally, I've seen anatomical pathologist spend a LOT of time discussing courses of treatment with surgeons, oncologists, ect.

Honestly after working for a number of years in a clinical lab at a hospital and company, I almost completely removed pathology from my radar because the job of clinical pathologist is so boring and outside of the medical examiner, I mistakenly thought that was what ALL pathologists do. Luckily, I learned nothing could be further from the truth! Some even do mainly patient work as in the pathologist who did my thyroid biopsy then read my slide right on the spot!

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
13 years 4 months ago #57138 by Baby Einstein
Sorry path, I didn't mean to lessen the work of pathologists. I love pathologists (even married one ;) ). I just wanted to make it general enough for Hermione, who's still a premed.

I agree that reviewing slides is the bulk of the job for APs, but that's still part of "lab" to me (especially from a premed's perspective).

Anyway, great specialty, great lifestyle (DH plays golf nearly everyday :rolleyes: ).

More
13 years 4 months ago #57139 by Doc201X

Originally posted by Baby Einstein:
Sorry path, I didn't mean to lessen the work of pathologists. I love pathologists (even married one ;) ). I just wanted to make it general enough for Hermione, who's still a premed.

I agree that reviewing slides is the bulk of the job for APs, but that's still part of "lab" to me (especially from a premed's perspective).

Anyway, great specialty, great lifestyle (DH plays golf nearly everyday :rolleyes: ).

No apologies needed! :D

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!