× Medical Specialties

endocrinology

More
16 years 6 months ago #57297 by foreigner
I am starting an IM residency this July, and I will have to decide pretty soon what fellowship I want to do afterwards (if any...), taking into account that I want to have a family. One of the specialties I am considering is endocrinology. How does a typical day of an endocrinologist look like? Can you combine it with a practice of general internal medicine? Is the reimbursement reasonable?
Any information will be appreciated. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #57298 by rockfever
Foreigner- i was just about to post this question except i am in a very differnt place than you- i haven't even started medical school. I am very interested in endocrinology though but am concerned about the IM residecny. it seems like it is a very grueling residency. can someone tell me more baout it?
Also, foreigner why do you have to decided on your fellowship soon if you are just starting? so you can do research or electives in endocrinology?
one more eqeustion. does it pay to go to a residency program that actually has the fellowship you are interested in?
Thanks!

More
16 years 6 months ago #57299 by mly
Yes, you can definitely combine your endocrine practice with general internal medicine. In fact, it could possibly be unavoidable. The Physician Compensation and Production Survey 2000 by MGMA shows a mean salary of $174,559 for endocrinology and $156,322 for general internal medicine.

More
16 years 6 months ago #57300 by foreigner
Mly, thanks for your answer!

Bermiegal, in the meantime, I have found some info in this thread on sdn:
www.studentdoctor.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65074
Regarding the rigors of IM residency - I will be able to comment about it in a year (or even better 3 years) from now ;) . From what I have heard and seen during the interviews, it depends on the structure of the particular program, but overall it cannot be that bad (at least not as bad as surgery). The tough months are the ICU rotations with Q3 call (every third day), but I will only have 2 of those in the first year. During the floor months, the call in my program is supposed to be Q5, and not overnight. And I should get about 5 non-call months. Well, we'll see how it goes. If you don't see me posting on mommd after July 1st, it will mean the residency is taking its toll on me :tired:
You also asked why one has to decide about the subspecialty so soon. You have to send out your applications for fellowship almost 2 years before it starts. If you are in a 3-years residency, you have to apply in the fall of your second year. You will need some letters of recommendation, and you want to get them preferably from the people of your specialty. So you are right - you need to arrange your electives and research months according to that - soon.
And to your last question - it definitely pays to go to a residency with strong faculty in your desired specialty. The best recommendation letter is from someone well-known among his/her peers. Of course, this is not a rule, and you can always arrange outside electives. It seems that another important thing is to have some research done in the area of your interest. You might think about this during the first 2 years of your med school. I have to warn you though to take everything I post with a grain of salt - I am a foreign medical graduate, and I need to do everything possible to maximize my chances.
Once you are in medical school, you will have plenty of opportunities to find a mentor to guide you. I believe the most important thing is to enjoy your chosen specialty (once again, grain of salt - I don't have children yet :rolleyes: ).
Good luck!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!