× Medical Specialties

Anesthesiology

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #57373 by notw_md_2b
Anyone family with this specialty? I've been considering it and researching the positives and negatives with this one regarding it's "family friendly" effects. I've heard it's not one of the toughest residencies and you have an option of regular work hours when finished (8-5 kinda schedule). I haven't found much on the difference between a hospitalist anesthesiologist, for example in a trauma unit) and ones in private office settings. I would rather work in hospital but I am concerned with the hours being too hard on family life (since I am married with a 5 yr old-who will probably be in jr. high when this time comes). I know any specialty and medicine in general is tough. Even working as a paramedic I worked long hours, stressful environments and little sleep. Any info I can get would be great! Thanks

"When your heart is in your dream, no request is too extreme!"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #57374 by sumozmom
Good question anybody can give input here? please???

~ whatever is beautiful,<br />whatever is meaningful,<br />whatever brings you happiness...<br />May it be yours today and throught the year ~

More
8 years 8 months ago #77652 by clee03m
Anyone family with this specialty?

***Yes. I have been married for 8 years and have a 10 month old.

I've been considering it and researching the positives and negatives with this one regarding it's "family friendly" effects. I've heard it's not one of the toughest residencies and you have an option of regular work hours when finished (8-5 kinda schedule).

***I wouldn't call it the easiest residencies either. I worked over 80 hours a week (but were not able to report that). But as far as I know our residents always take post call days off. While the option of regular work hours may exist, I am not sure how easy it would be to find this kind of a job.

I haven't found much on the difference between a hospitalist anesthesiologist, for example in a trauma unit) and ones in private office settings. I would rather work in hospital but I am concerned with the hours being too hard on family life (since I am married with a 5 yr old-who will probably be in jr. high when this time comes).

***I work in a group that covers both hospital and outpatient surgery centers. For the most part this is the norm. You almost need to cover a hospital for patient load, outpatient surgery center to divide up the call and for better payer demographics. I personally think this is the best option. If you work strictly at a hospital, you will take aweful lot of call. If you work strictly at a surgery center, it may be difficult to join a group.

I know any specialty and medicine in general is tough. Even working as a paramedic I worked long hours, stressful environments and little sleep. Any info I can get would be great!

***I work about 60-65 hours a week with 8 weeks of vacation. Two out of three calls get a post call day off. I am not sure you should get into anesthesia if you are looking to do no nights and weekends. These jobs are out there, but you would have to be prepared to take a big pay cut and move to an undesirable location.

I personally discourage you from choosing a field based on life style. If you don't enjoy anesthesia, you would be pretty miserable even if you found a job with regular hours.

Couple things. We anesthesiologists tend to work early. 8 am start is not realistic at all. More like 6:30 to 7 start. Most jobs I saw required call. I average one weekday call per week and one weekend call per month. Pay is pretty good and part time is very doable. In our groups, even part timers take call to give you an idea. But this specialty suits my personality and interest well. I am happy I chose this field. Again, my advise is to follow your interest and not life style.

More
8 years 8 months ago #77679 by asunshine
Thank you for the information, clee!

Do you think anesthesia will undergo big changes with CRNAs expanding their roles? I don't want to go through a 4 year residency to find that there are no jobs!

More
8 years 8 months ago #77694 by clee03m
This was a concern when I was deciding on a field in 2003. So far so good. I can't predict the future. If you feel this is a good fit, go for it. Dumbing down of medicine is happening in fields much more than just anesthesia.

My advise once again is, if you like it, go for it. Once you become an anesthesiologist, be politically active and join an all physician group.

I had a back up plan when I went into anesthesia. I'm gonna go to law school if it doesn't work out with anesthesia. I figure with all the CRNA's running cases and with my anesthesia knowledge, I would make a good living as a medi-mal lawyer *wink*

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!