× Medical Specialties

Where are the neurologists?

More
16 years 4 days ago #57496 by momof3
As a neurologist in private practice, I would love to hear from the other neurologists out there in MomMD'land. Are there any of you out there? :wave:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 days ago #57497 by rockfever
can you tell us a little about neurology? what is your daily schedule? do you subspeicalize? whta is the jobmarket like out there for neurologist right now? whta made you go into neurology? ist is a good lifestyle for a mom?

More
16 years 4 days ago #57498 by momof3
Neurology is a great specialty if you like to be "cerebral", ie. think a lot. There is nothing cookbook about neurology and it takes a lot of contemplation to come up with answers in this specialty. The job market is a buyer's market, meaning that there are a lot more jobs than qualified candidates for job positions right now. I am part of a single specialty group that is mostly an outpatient practice. My hours are about 7:30am-6pm except for the days that I am on call, where the hours are longer. In order to meet overhead (ie pay the bills) it really helps to do a fellowship, specifically in neurophysiology or sleep medicine so you can generate billable procedures. I know that sounds greedy but as Medicare reimbursements drop and expenses continue to go up, you have to make sure that you can make a living doing your profession (and pay off all of the loans). ;) I love neurology and wouldn't trade my specialty for any other. P.M. me if you have further questions. We can always use more women in this specialty! :yes:

More
15 years 11 months ago #57499 by psych
My husband is a neurologist and I love having an in-house consultant! I'm surprised at how much neuro I do in outpatient psychiatry. So far this year I have diagnosed a TIA, a brainstem stroke, vascular dementia with parkinsonism, and BPPV twice. I'm glad you are out there!

More
15 years 11 months ago #57500 by Ashley S
Hi everyone,

I am not one yet, but I am working on it. After much contemplation, I decided to match in neurology. I am in the interview process now.
I feel that it's alot of fun & gives you the chance to know alot about one organ. The brain is truly amazing!

"Give what you have. To someone it may be better than you dare to think." --- Henry W. Longfellow

More
8 years 5 months ago #79337 by Neuro
where are you now?

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!