× Medical Specialties

Emergency Medicine

More
6 years 5 months ago #89711 by Popcorn
Do a rotation. Generally, people know within a shift or two if it's for them. Or rather, people know that it's NOT for them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #89720 by southernmd
Agree - plan the stuff you are iffy on very very early fourth year so you can switch if you need to last minute. Or on a light rotation with less call like Psych - go work for a bit in the ED or wherever else you are considering....

More
6 years 5 months ago #89726 by megboo
Popcorn, I'm an entj too :) like southern, I could see myself in the ER or some sort of action-oriented specialty if it weren't for anesthesiology. Maybe a critical care path, surgery, or high risk ob. Except EM, there's clinic with most of those, but at least it's focused. I also hated outpatient general medicine, but enjoyed some sub populations like peds and ob.

I think this is where anesthesiology suits me well, but I kind of wish I had explod EM more. I will have my chance this year :)

"Some of it's magic and some of it's tragic but I had a good life all the way."<br />- He Went to Paris by Jimmy Buffett

More
6 years 5 months ago #89728 by mdstudent14
INTJ here :) Will definitely try to get an EM rotation in early in 4th year before September. Thanks, ladies!

More
6 years 3 months ago #90299 by scutwork
I'm INFJ. Not sure if that means I'd be better suited for emergency or anesthesiology? I'm just a med student and really love both so far! Any thoughts? :)
Last Edit: by .

More
6 years 3 months ago #90311 by southernmd
There are many personalities in all fields. Don't judge based on a Myers what you might be. I'm an extrovert, and I'm an Anesthesia resident.

I will say this - Anesthesia and Emergency people both seem friendly and easy to deal with for the most part (warning: sweeping generality). However, when people meet me in the hospital, they say things like, " We love Anesthesia interns - they are always really nice" or "Anesthesia people are awesome to work with - they are always really nice!" My specialty is known for having people who like to get along with others. I mean, we kind of have to - we work with a team and with surgeons.

So there is some of that. Another sweeping generalization, but something VERY noticeable during orientation - the Ortho people are VERY INTENSE. I mean - each and every one of them. Whew...it was a bit much.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!