× Medical Specialties

Emergency Medicine

More
6 years 2 months ago #90314 by scutwork
Thanks so much southernmd! :) Those are really great points. Now that you put it that way, and I think about it, it's true there are a bunch of different personalities in each field, huh? Also a huge part of what attracts me to both anesthesia and EM is the awesome people. Both generally seem so very friendly and team focused to me, and I definitely love all that! I love being part of a team. And I don't think I could survive in an environment without this sense of camaraderie. But it's still a bit hard to choose given I really think both groups are great people like you said, and both "personalities" or "cultures" really resonate well with me. Hmm...

However I've heard the job prospects for anesthesia aren't as good as for EM, and an anesthesiologist recently told me that the jobs that have come his way are all around 11-12 hours per day, F/T, "frequent" call (not sure what that means exactly), weekend call once per month, etc. That could just be his experience. But as a soon to be attending (congrats!!! :) could I please ask, how are you finding the job market? Maybe if I like both equally, as well as the personalities in both or the cultures of both, I might as well pick based on job outlook or prospects?

And there's something intimate or personal about being in the OR to me, I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's something beautiful to me, that I might miss if I'm not in the OR. At the same time maybe I'm being too emotional here.
Last Edit: by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #90317 by southernmd
I'm not an attending - I'm only an intern, but I don't know that I've heard anyone is having problems finding jobs. Most of my institution's graduating class are doing fellowship, which is a big trend these days, but I have never heard of anyone struggling to find a job. I would DEFINITELY not pick a specialty based on job prospects, because that is really heresay. What you do day-to-day really matters - pick something you enjoy.

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #90468 by jackross
Spam.

<a href=" www.lotusinternational.com/ " rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Pharmaceutical Wholesaler</a> | <a href=" www.lotusinternational.com/ " rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Wholesale Chemist</a>
Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by .

More
5 years 10 months ago #91171 by Docmomof4
Interesting thread-scutwork, if you are still out there-you are on the right track. Ask yourself-do i get along with these people? Are these "my people?" c" can I see myself hanging out with them?" that is a good way to see if you 'fit in' with a specialty. I wouldn't rely on MB either-I am an ENTJ and I am in family medicine and love it....!

More
5 years 10 months ago #91172 by Docmomof4
PS maybe someone should do a MOM MD poll about this MB stuff-why so many ENTJ's on here?

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!