× Medical Specialties

surgeons (thoracic)

More
16 years 8 months ago #57674 by lillian
I posed this question on Ask The Expert but that thread seems to be visited very seldomly. so....

Are there any surgeons that can share any info w/ me? I am interested in thoracic, but would love to hear about surgery in general, also. My 2nd ? is what can a surgeon do if she needs to retire from surgery due to perhaps an unsteady hand or back problems so she can't stand for a long time...etc? Can you go into a private practice or anything else after a surgeon's career? Or are you useless after that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 8 months ago #57675 by ellie
A lot of the older retiring surgeons (general and ortho) that are unable to continue to operate due to whatever reason (well, almost) tend to continue to do clinics. There is a story of an ortho guy that lost the dexterity of one of his upper extremities in an MVC and is wroking more along the lines of a clinical ortho guy and probably acts more as PMR.

More
16 years 8 months ago #57676 by lillian
Thans for wriiting. What is a PMR and MVC?

Are there any surgeons on this forum?

More
16 years 8 months ago #57677 by ladysurg
Yes, we are here but I think we are less vocal. I am a general surgeon but have recently focused my practice on breast disease. If you become disabled, it would be difficult to be a surgeon the way surgeons like to be. We want ot be in the operating room. I can tell you that I have friends who have changed specialties for other reasons and have either retrained or have done clinic or urgent care or emergency room care. This however is not an easy transition for a surgeon. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email!

More
16 years 7 months ago #57678 by psych
Hey, did anyone hear that Dr. Julie Frieschlag is now the Chief of Surgery at Johns Hopkins? Wonder if she's ever checked out mommd -- the blurb I read says she has a 7 year old boy. I am astounded that Hopkins has a woman chief of surgery. Just a reminder that you never know what you might end up doing!!!

More
16 years 7 months ago #57679 by lillian

Originally posted by ladysurg:
Yes, we are here but I think we are less vocal. I am a general surgeon but have recently focused my practice on breast disease. If you become disabled, it would be difficult to be a surgeon the way surgeons like to be. We want ot be in the operating room. I can tell you that I have friends who have changed specialties for other reasons and have either retrained or have done clinic or urgent care or emergency room care. This however is not an easy transition for a surgeon. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!