× Medical Specialties

Family Practice

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #57688 by FPmommyto2
HOnestly, I'd be OK with it if I "lost" my acute care general medicine hospital skills. I really don't admit very many people - maybe 3 a month - (I have a pretty young and healthy practice) so those skills are slowly eroding anyway. FP is so all-encompassing, I will never feel like I'm good enough at all of it. I'd rather concentrate on OB, and office practice with the procedures I already do (and maybe add LEEP). All the studies I've read show that hospitalists do a "better" job anyway (they're going to be well versed in the most up-to-date standards of care, etc). I'd love to be able to play the role of a peripherally involved primary doc, make social visits, and help the patient and family understand what's going on in the hospital.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #57689 by LisaFP
I'm in Arkansas and am working part time, 2 days a week. I've used the hospitalist service at our hospital for the past 1 1/2 years and it is great! I still take call with my call group and do some admissions, so I stay a little in touch that way. I do feel like my contact with the other docs is slowly eroding, but right now with 3 small kids I wouldn't have it any other way.

FPmommyto2: Maybe you could use the hospitalists even if your group doesn't. That's what I do. The rest of my call group sees their own patients. The hospitalists pick up mine the next day. It works out fine.

More
16 years 1 day ago #57690 by melc
I'm in Ohio, almost strictly outpatient. I do skin procedures, lots of gynecology, EMB and colpos. We have IM's in our group that do our hospital work, which has been really nice. I however recently read a comment from a doc that in some places if you stop inpatient medicine you could get denied hospital priviledges and be required to do more training. :eek: That scared me because I don't want to limit my options for the future. Anyone heard/experienced similar?

More
15 years 11 months ago #57691 by maggie52
melc- I can def hear a hospital asking the question of whether you've done inpt medicine lately, and if you said no they'd raise their eyebrows. ANd they should I suppose bc running a code if you haven;t thought about an ICU in five yrs would be scary...but I agree that I would be tempted to drop OB and critical care stuff, but get worried later if I ever thought of rturning to "doing-it-all"...

More
15 years 11 months ago #57692 by FPmommyto2
LisaFP - unfortunately, the hospital next to my office (where most of the admissions are) does not have a hospitalist system. What's worse is that all active staff are required to take "ER Back-up" call 2 times a month, where we essentially act as hospitalists for no-doc patients.

The 2 larger hospitals in the next town over (where I have "courtesy" priveleges) have hospitalists - which I use without apology.

Don't get me wrong - I love my practice - its just that I love my family and would like to spend more time at home :)

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!