× Medical Specialties

emergency medicine

More
16 years 8 months ago #57738 by medicine-for-me
I have been volunteering at the local er now for a while and have absolutely loved my experience :goodvibes: I have always thought i would end up in family practice but now i am also thinking about emergency medicine. :scratchchin:
One thing that always attracted me about family practice was the wide range of cases you get to see and it seems like you get to see even more variety in the er, from sniffy noses to heart attacks.
The one thing i think i would miss is the one on one long term patient care.
So i guess i have two questions. The first one might be kind of silly, but i dont know all that much about the specifics of a medical career yet (still only a college freshman) but is there any way to do emergency medicine for a while and then later in life go into famly practice? would i have to do another residency? and is it possible to work part time family practice and part time emergency?
the second question is just about emergency medicine in general... just anyone who is an er doc and wants to share their experience!!!
well, that was a bit of a ramble
thanks for any responses!
tiff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 8 months ago #57739 by gimleteyed
Well, I was hoping that someone with more knowledge than myself would be able to post, but in the meantime I'll jump in here with what little I know...

First, emergency medicine is a relatively new division of primary care (I think the first EM residencies began in the 70s), so plenty of programs have attendings who are not board-certified in EM. That said, this is changing quickly and major trauma centers all seem to wanted boarded EM MDs/DOs. The Society for Academic Emergency Medicine ( www.saem.org ) has lots of info on their website about this.

There are some combined residencies featuring emergency medicine and one other primary care area (usually either internal medicine or pediatrics). SAEM has some information on these programs, though new ones seem to be springing up all the time.

I'm (obviously!) intereseted in emergency medicine myself; but I highly recommend finding a way to spend time in an actual ED for a while--it's a very frustrating, difficult area to practice in (G-d only knows how much more fun HIPAA rules will make it). You probably have to have a good philosophy on human nature (and perhaps not a very generous one) in order to stand it...but I haven't been able to talk myself out of pursuing EM, so I won't try to talk you out, either! Let's leave that to the experts. ;)

More
16 years 8 months ago #57740 by gimleteyed
'Course, NOW I see again that you already have been volunteering....there goes the "listening skills" section! .....mea culpa! :footinmouth:

More
16 years 8 months ago #57741 by medicine-for-me
Thanks so much for responding! I will check that website for more info. And yeah I hear that it is pretty easy to burn out in the er which is why i am looking into the combined er/other kind of doctor programs. But so far i absolutely love the er environment!!!
Thanks again
tiff

More
16 years 8 months ago #57742 by rlynnfp
As an FP, I can tell you the training for FP, especially if you train for rural FP, would be very compatible with ER. Additionally, I really strongly feel everyone should moonlight while they are in residency. Moonlighting in an ER will be really helpful. I suppose you could go into primary care from ER, but I don't know of anyone who has (limited exposure plays in here I'm sure). I have heard of an ER doc who went into pain mgmt and another doing the cosmetic dermatology stuff.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!