× Medical Specialties

Internal Medicine?

More
13 years 8 months ago #57762 by erin
Anyone doing IM part-time or with a reasonable schedule? I initially wanted to do Anestheisa, mostly for the apparently family-friendly schedule, but I am considering IM now. Am I crazy? I'd love to hear about someone balancing things successfully!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #57763 by EthanDeeMom
Hi Erin,

I work in IM/Geriatrics in Erie, PA. After completing 3 years of fulltime work,I have started job-sharing with another friend(and mom of 2).
IM is busy, esp calls. If u have the right kind of job, only office or shifts like hospitalists, it works well. Right now, my friend is sharing my office hours,as she does not do hosp rounds or calls. So, my part time is about 70%, but it gives me a break. I know another practice in Erie, where 2 friends have a shared practice 50-50. They both have 3-4 kids each with spouses in surgical specialties.
So, to answer your question, it can work if u hunt and ask for what u want. Good Luck!

JKBP

More
13 years 6 months ago #57764 by cdjv
I posted somewhere else, but will reiterate here-sorry for the redundancy.
I am deciding between two part-time outpatient jobs, and have turned down quite a few part-time hospitalist jobs during my search, and a friend from residency is also working part-time (this usually means 2.5-3 days per week). There are certainly options in IM for part-time **IF that's where your interests lie*** if you don't like IM you could work part-time and still hate your life.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!