× Medical Specialties

General Surgery

More
16 years 10 months ago #57799 by ladysurg
I have posted this before but am a General Surgeon currently emphasizing breast cancer surgery.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 10 months ago #57800 by MDmom2b
Hi - and thank you for posting. I'm 30, mom of one, and am finishing up my prereqs to hopefully enter med school in 2004. One of the specialties that really interests me right now is surgery, but I would love to get a point of view from a female already in the field. Do you have any children? My husband and I are reasonably sure that we aren't going to want any more kids, but I'm still wondering about the affects a surgical residency and lifestyle can have on family life. Also, are the male-dominated stereotypes true of this specialty, or do you see that things are changing?

More
16 years 9 months ago #57801 by ladysurg
I had my children just after my residency. I was pregnant during my chief year. I did fine but was very tired the first trimester. I had twins during my junior staff years and in an academic setting that worked fine. It would have been real tough during privatr practice. I have done all general surgery during the first 14 years of my practice but now that my kids are 13, 11 and 11, I am getting very comfortable doing mainly breast cancer surgery. I think we all have to find our way and it is getting easier. There are some residnecies that are better with women than others but I have to tell you that most residencies today are finding that men and women are looking for better lifestyle and they are having to change. The next few years will be very interesting.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!