× Women Medical Students

Ranking Peds: How important to choose the "best?"

More
8 years 10 months ago #77553 by nonny22
This question is really for residents/attendings... but of course I'd be happy to hear anyone's opinion.

It is time to rank programs! I am torn between my home hospital: a free standing children's hospital, one of the best in the country, well organized, excellent reaching, huge referral center, etc and one in the suburbs. The suburban one is also a referral hospital, has it all: ecmo, all specialities, pretty high volume. But, it is not as academic. It has none of the prestige of my home program. It is a community program with a weak university affiliation. That said, it would allow me to live closer in a nicer house, it would give me a slightly better lifestyle (I think), and it just has more of a family feel. Some of the other residents have kids while it is almost unheard of at the huge urban program. I am fairly confident I could get into either..

Everyone I talk to thinks I am crazy to even consider going to the smaller program. So, what do you guys think? I realize I will only do training once (what I keep getting reminded of) But how huge of a difference can there be? I don't need prestige, I just want to be a well trained general pediatrician! The urban program really is amazing though- they get the cream of the crop residents and the top attendings in the country.

Also, I will be due with my third baby on June 23rd. Yup, so I will be taking maternity leave my first 2 months of intern year. Great timing. I think I will need all the help I can get!

It might sound like I am leaning toward the more family-friendlyish program but I am 50-50! I worry that it will be "sloppier" and more disorganized than the more competitive one.

Any pediatricians or residents that can weigh in????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #77557 by residentmom
I am not a pediatrician, but if you are planning to go into general outpatient peds (and you're SURE)... then pick the suburban one. I doubt that residency prestige is a big factor in getting a position in the long run... but I am an FP, so not my area. My gut feeling is that as long as you can get board certified and make good personal contacts in your field, you will be fine.

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

More
8 years 10 months ago #77605 by kpzr/9145
I am a pediatrician, in practice for 12 years. I purposely chose a more family-friendly program, still an excellent tertiary care center with pediatric Trauma, etc but with a "weak" academic affiliation. I had a truly amazing experience as a resident. The teaching was excellent. And believe me, I think of myself as an academic so my standards are high. I knew I wanted to enter General Pediatrics. What I saw was that the primary care exposure at this residency was much much better than what I saw at the big Boston hospitals where I did medical school. Not sure if this is the case for you or not. I have not regretted my decision. I felt extremely well prepared to enter practice after three years. If your "suburban" program seems more supportive of family life, this is a big factor to consider too. Plus it sounds like your standard of living might be better there which is important too, especially with a growing family! Well good luck and let us know how you do with your decision. In the end, it is a gut feeling, how to rank your programs. You know in your heart of hearts where you would rather be.

kpzr

More
8 years 10 months ago #77634 by southernbelle
Can anyone comment on FP with OB included? Do most FP residencies prepare you to deliver babies? Can FP docs who also do OB perform sections? I would prefer not to do a OB fellowship after residency if at all possible. I am a OMS-3. I love FP and know I want to do it for sure. I also love OB. I have fallen in love this month. I HATE surgery and GYN does not interest me much. Thanks!

More
8 years 10 months ago #77636 by residentmom
ALL FP residencies are required to train you to do OB. That being said, certainly some are better at it than others. I went to a program (and there was nother nearby) that had really excellent OB teaching and exposure, and felt well prepared to deliver babies when I finished. Whether you can actually deliver babies in real life is another whole question-- it is very difficult to get reimursed to a level that will even cover your malpractice so you can break even, but there are rural areas where this is possible. Also if you stayed on faculty at a residency you could do this. PM me if you want specific details about programs I know are good. :) In general, you will want a community program, and not university (no competition from OBs, etc) and you will want to really talk to the residents you meet about their OB training. I went to more than one program where the residents admitted they struggled to get the required numbers of deliveries, counting "observations" among their numbers. Good luck!

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

More
8 years 10 months ago #77669 by nonny22
So helpful! Picking a program is kind of like picking a husband, eh? Doesn't matter what other people think in the end.... ;)

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!