× Women Medical Students

Infertility and Medical School

More
8 years 7 months ago #78252 by megboo
Hello ladies,

I'm a 34 yo MS2 and my husband and I have been trying to conceive for well over a year now - with no success :(

We finally bit the bullet in November and sought help from a Reproductive Endocrinologist, and I'm currently in the midst of my 3rd Clomid/IUI cycle. After rigorous testing it appears my husband and I are fully functioning reproductive beings individually, but together somehow we can't make a baby :/. We'll be moving on to a few cycles of injectibles if this last round of Clomid doesn't work, and on to IVF if injectibles don't work. We're also considering adoption.

I'm just curious if there are any other medical student experiencing any infertility issues as well? I did find a couple of other threads, one with great insight on IVF, but they are a few years old and I'm looking for some current solidarity (I guess).

"Some of it's magic and some of it's tragic but I had a good life all the way."<br />- He Went to Paris by Jimmy Buffett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #78680 by nlmd12
I'm OMSII and I'm dealing with male factor infertility. My husband and I are trying to decide what we're going to do since he's 36 and I'm 27. Oh, and we live in different states as well. We would have to use ICSI and we just can't afford it right now, but, we don't want to miss our reproductive window. I very much want to experience pregnancy, so we're considering using donor sperm. I have no idea how any of that is going to fit into rotations or how we will work it out! I'm thinking of maybe taking a year off? All I know right now is that I don't want to miss my chance to have a baby and I don't want my husband to be over 40 when we have our first child!

More
7 years 9 months ago #83458 by Muffin Top
My husband and I (both med students)are struggling with some of the same issues. We've been TTC for a year and a half and our fertility work ups have come back totally normal. So frustrating (not to mention that none of the work up is covered by our insurance...)

I know your post is a little old..I hope you guys are pregnant now!

On a side note, some residency programs have adoption benefits if you know you are going to adopt. We live in the midwest and I know Mayo for sure has it.

More
7 years 9 months ago #83485 by megboo
Oh yes, we've been through the pregnancy and now have a 2 month old!

It is SO frustrating to be told you're "normal" but can't make a baby. Grrr. But hey, water under the bridge now.

"Some of it's magic and some of it's tragic but I had a good life all the way."<br />- He Went to Paris by Jimmy Buffett

More
7 years 9 months ago #83487 by newmommdphd
We also struggled with this issue...but now have a 2+ year old. It's sad and difficult when TTC but there is hope and reproductive technology helps.

More
7 years 7 months ago #83989 by Muffin Top
Thanks guys! I'm about to start my 3rd cycle of Clomid and am kind of at the point where my expectations are low. Is anyone else on Clomid?

The positive side of this is that I'm a 4th year so every month that we're not pregnant is one less month that I'll have to put a baby in daycare during residency :)

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!