× Women Medical Students

Last minute studying for surgery shelf

More
8 years 6 months ago #79201 by nbp
So the surgery shelf is one week from today. All I've done so far is listen to about 10 out of 12 hours of Pestana audio files, and read 11 or 12 cases in Case Files. Yup, that's IT. Luckily next Thursday is a study day, but obviously I have to pick one thing to focus on during that time, so I'm looking for suggestions. I am choosing between:
1) Reading through the Pestana cases, to review and solidify what I learned from listening.
2) Reading as much of Case Files as I can.
3) Doing practice questions from Lange (the thing I don't like about this option is that they are categorized by topic and I feel like I should do a random selection, weighted towards high yield topics).

Any suggestions???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #79206 by asunshine
Hm, that's already a lot. I used Pestana notes (didn't know there was audio!) and case files. You'll be fine! Definitely do questions, though, if you struggle on shelfs (shelves?).

More
8 years 6 months ago #79214 by nbp
Hmm, if I do questions, should I focus on high yield areas (i.e. GI) or areas I've had very little exposure to (i.e. endocrine)? According to the NBME, 25-30% of the test is GI, 10-15% respiratory, and 10-15% cardiovascular. I guess focusing on those would help ensure that I get those questions right, even if it means I have no chance on lower yield topics?

More
8 years 6 months ago #79218 by rock_see
I just took this a few weeks ago. There was A LOT of medicine on it. Like a ton. The problem is that it there were really strange medicine questions so I'm not even sure reviewing the stuff I used for the medicine shelf would have helped.

I read Case Files once, listened to about half of the Pestana audio, and read the Kaplan surgery stuff (PM me if you want any of this stuff ...). I did Pretest and USMLE World question banks. I did about 25% of Lange before getting frustrated because the questions seemed so out of left field. They were probably the most in line with the actual shelf questions, though.

I feel like I used WAY too many resources for this shelf because I heard too many conflicting options about what was good and what was not. I normally only use 1 book and 1-2 question sources.

I walked out of it feeling like a complete moron and still scored in the range I had been scoring on all of my previous ones (medicine, family, and peds).

OB/Gyn R2 and Mom of three (10, 8, and 4)

More
8 years 5 months ago #79246 by asunshine

rock_see wrote: I walked out of it feeling like a complete moron and still scored in the range I had been scoring on all of my previous ones (medicine, family, and peds).

I totally agree! Surg was my first shelf, and the questions were so weird to me, that I spent too much time on them. I was 10 questions behind and just filled in bubbles when they called time (first and last time I had ever done anything close to that in med school). Still scored slightly above average (pure luck!).

I would not blow off things you haven't seen on your rotation, especially trauma. You are learning a TON on the services you're on, even though it doesn't feel like it, so definitely focus on stuff you haven't seen.

More
8 years 5 months ago #79291 by nbp
Done done done done done!!! Thanks for the suggestions ladies. Time for a much-needed weekend of freedom. :D

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!