× Women Medical Students

family-friendly pediatric residencies

More
6 years 7 months ago #88609 by ctenj
Hi all,

Just curious if any of you would have info on family-friendly pediatrics residencies (either through interviewing or from just info you've heard from others).

To give some context, I'm interested in peds and when I start, I'll have a 5 yo and a 3 yo (and we're open to having more). My husband will be an anesthesia attending by that time so will have a little more flexibility in his schedule, but I'd still like to, of course, be there for them as a mom and a wife in addition to hopefully becoming a great pediatrician.

Due to the locations of both of our families, we're mostly looking on the East Coast (as far north as Maine/NH and as far south as NC/VA), but we're open to other areas as well.

As a note, I think, in general, it could be a great resource to have a list of programs (in all sorts of specialties) that people on this forum have experience with and how well they felt about the programs' family friendliness... Just a thought :)

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #88611 by southernmd
Not sure how family friendly, but I can vouch that UVA is nonmalignant FWIW. No, it is not my home program, but a good friend who I trust is ranking it her #1 in Peds. She doesn't choose malignant places (not that type), and I know the training is good. Maybe that one?

People seem to like Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, NC. I've heard people I know speak nicely of it.

When you say family-friendly, what do you mean exactly? Peds isn't my field, but I'm from the South, and I could probably offer more insight if I knew exactly what it was you were looking for?

More
6 years 7 months ago #88612 by ctenj
Thanks! UVA is actually probably the top one we've been looking at... We love Charlottesville (my sister did undergrad there), it's just a couple hours drive from my parents, and I've heard good things about their program. We also love the "slower" pace of life (I'm finishing up my PhD in the Baltimore/DC area and I'm in med school up in NYC so it's all relative... I know compared to other places, Charlottesville is probably not actually considered "slow" :))

Sorry, "family friendly" is pretty vague... I guess these are things that I'd ideally be looking for:

- not malignant
- has a schedule that allows you to spend a decent amount of time with your family (relatively speaking... and I know that this will vary tremendously from month to month)
- has a history of residents with families
- is relatively accommodating when it comes to pregnancy/pumping, etc...
- located in an area where we can safely, reasonably, comfortably, & somewhat affordably live decently close (time-wise) to the hospital (so I'm not spending 2 hrs/day in the car)
- has good schools in the area

That's my "wish list" although I realize that no program's perfect and will necessarily fit all of those criteria.

Of course, I'd like to get good training and all that as well :) But, in the end, I know I can get good training at a number of different places, and I'd take a less prestigious program that allows me more time with my family, but still gives me great training over a more prestigious place that doesn't, in a heartbeat.

More
6 years 7 months ago #88627 by Baby Einstein

ctenj wrote: Of course, I'd like to get good training and all that as well :) But, in the end, I know I can get good training at a number of different places, and I'd take a less prestigious program that allows me more time with my family, but still gives me great training over a more prestigious place that doesn't, in a heartbeat.

I think that is very smart, but my advice then would be to not even apply to the most prestigious places. They are very skilled at changing your mind, and will recruit you heavily (particularly with your PhD). Don't apply there "just to see" :) Best of luck!

More
6 years 7 months ago #88748 by chalk
BE, do you think the more prestigious programs are in general more malignant than average? I am at a fairly prestigious program, but I don't know that it seems any worse than average.

FWIW, for instance:
--I took 13wks paid maternity leave, no questions asked
--I can usually get out of the hospital relatively early on my non-call days
--there are plenty of pumping rooms convenient to various floors/workrooms
--overall culture is friendly
--we have great public schools roughly 15-25min drive from hospital where I live

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #90814 by OHM77
Hi,

I also have these questions. Where and what is FWIW and UVA. I'm guessing UVA is University of Virgina?

Realizing the dream I deferred.

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!