× Women Medical Students

third trimester exhaustion/sickness and rotations

More
6 years 3 months ago #89076 by almondbutter
hi everyone! i'm a 4th-year med student now in my third trimester and am struggling to finish my very last clinical rotation. i posted earlier in the year when i was having problems with nausea on rotations during my first trimester, and everyone's responses were so helpful and supportive that i've come back hoping for more. :) anyway, i'm now in my third trimester and am doing okay when i can take it easy, but doing rotations has been completely exhausting -- a combination of all the standing plus the fact that my immune system seems to have been completely wrecked by pregnancy. prior to getting pregnant, i definitely got my share of the colds and such that are hard to avoid when you work in a hospital, but it was always stuff that i could fight off and i never had to call in sick. now that i'm pregnant, i get sick pretty much whenever i have contact with any sick person. as a result, i had to miss an entire week of my rotation and am set to do a make-up week this week, but i am worried because i am already feeling exhausted and like i am coming down with a bug (i talked to some people who were sick on match day, oops). i only have one week to go and then i am done with all required clinical rotations for med school, so i am going to try to just get through it. i guess i am hoping from some support from some fellow med school moms or moms-to-be -- it's been pretty demoralizing because in general i really try hard to be a good and diligent team member and the administration for this rotation has made it clear that they perceive me to be a bad egg, like i am not really sick, or whatever. i'm just frustrated and tired. any advice or support would be very much appreciated -- thank you ladies! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #89078 by southernmd
You can do it! Crackers and sitting. You are a fourth-year too - be honest if you feel like you are going to pass out! Ask if you can drag a stool over during a discussion on a case in the hall. One week to GO!

You are almost done...it's time to power through!

Did you just match too? (congrats!!!)

More
6 years 3 months ago #89079 by AmmaMD
Oh, you are so close!! Congratulations!

Here are my two thoughts, for what they're worth: (1) Your sense of being perceived as a "bad egg" may be a little bit distorted by your own guilt / exhaustion / worry / etc - and even to the extent it's not, it's just one rotation. If they don't like it, they can try being a pregnant med student with a cold and see how they do. (2) Sleep. Sleep sleep sleep sleep sleep every chance you get. If all you do is come home and go straight to bed, that's fine. If you then get up in time to shower and walk out the door with wet hair, that's fine, too. Everything is better if you can get enough sleep while pregnant. At least, that was the case for me.

And it's all about to change anyways - my guess is you will not care at all what that rotation thinks of you, soon! You will have much better things to care about - a baby! And, a while later, being an intern! It gets better from here. You're all good.

More
6 years 3 months ago #89088 by PeggySue
Yep! What everyone else said is right on! I was in your shoes about a year ago, although luckily I had very easy rotations at the end. Don't be afraid to grab a chair, snack, tissue, whatever. You're a post-match MS4 - all you need to do is get through it however you can. P=MD ; )

More
6 years 3 months ago #89096 by megboo
You can get through it!!! One more week!

Envision the nice long nap you get to take on the couch when you get home from the last day :)

I can't really add much to what everyone else has said, but good luck and good luck with the delivery and all that comes after :)

"Some of it's magic and some of it's tragic but I had a good life all the way."<br />- He Went to Paris by Jimmy Buffett

More
6 years 3 months ago #89454 by almondbutter
hi ladies! sorry for not responding sooner but thank you so much for all the support. i made it through the week with the help of a camping stool -- i also got lucky and finally got a nice attending who understood that being pregnant might actually affect one physically. i think this discussion board is such a great source of support and knowledge -- it's so nice to know that all of you are out there doing your thing, being strong and kind moms in medicine. thanks!! :)

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!