× Women Medical Students

What accommodations exist at your school?

More
4 years 7 months ago #95697 by Ananke
I'm trying to find out what types of accommodations for parents exist elsewhere so I can report on them to my school. Do you get some say in where your rotations are? Reduction in call hours? Anything else?

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #95698 by ctenj
The only accommodation we have is that we don't need to rotate outside of our city (other students are required to do at least one rotation at one of the affiliates of our hospital which are generally an hr-4 hrs away from the city). Quite honestly, I'm not sure that I would want reduction in call #s, etc... since I think it would create a situation where other students would feel like parents were being given special treatment, and rightly so. I have found that when emergencies with our kids have arisen, specific attendings, residents, fellows have been very understanding, but there is no official policy (and of course, I'm careful not to abuse this).

The two things I DO wish is that we had a better idea of our schedule ahead of time and that there was more support for breastfeeding/pumping on rotations.

It is incredibly hard to schedule childcare when you have no clue what your hours are going to be even a week out although I recognize the difficulties of figuring that out on an administrative level and also the variability even once you know which service you're going to be on, etc... Still, it'd be nice to know ahead of time for rotations that involve 3 weeks of inpatient, 3 weeks of outpatient, which I was scheduled to start on or which resident's rotation schedule I'd follow before the day of (which has almost always been the case for me this year).

While I was at the tail end of breastfeeding when I started my clinical rotations and just relied on milk I had already banked for the daytime and breastfed at night, I know others who have either stopped breastfeeding or struggle with finding time and a place to breastfeed during the day. Again, the timing is difficult - the realities of clinical medicine - but it baffles me that the only lactation rooms for a hospital with tons and tons of breastfeeding employees are in a very far-off location requiring a generally 10 min walk from the main hospital (why not put one in the main hospital????)
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by ctenj.

More
4 years 6 months ago #95760 by AyanPrince
It is incredibly hard to schedule childcare when you have no clue what your hours are going to be even a week out although I recognize the difficulties of figuring that out on an administrative level and also the variability even once you know which service you're going to be on, etc... Still, it'd be nice to know ahead of time for rotations that involve 3 weeks of inpatient, 3 weeks of outpatient, which I was scheduled to start on or which resident's rotation schedule I'd follow before the day of (which has almost always been the case for me this year).

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!