× Women Medical Students

Match- which residencies? where?

More
14 years 10 months ago #25074 by Popcorn
And and and???

Just wondering how those early matches went... (And I heard about the urology disaster - I've got a good friend whose match changed after they redid it...)

I hope you ladies ended up where you wanted - I'm not freaking out yet, but as March approaches, I'm getting antsy.

Danielle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #25075 by doc k
So I wish I had better news to share. My early match was unsuccessful. It hurt not to match after that effort, and I raged a bit about my #1 that had been seemingly salivating all over me. They said I was in their top 5 but not top 2 because, for one thing, "they didn't want to interfere with my marriage". :mad: :mad: :mad: @#$%^%$^%!
Now, should anyone have any doubt that there are last vestiges of mysogyny in medicine: Do you think they would have been worried about "interfering" with a male applicant's marriage? My guess is that are also concerned about the "interference" of pregnancy.

Aside from that, I learned the truth behind not putting all your eggs in one basket. I had really limited my choices by geography, and in a year where nearly 100 people (nearly 30% of total applicants for about 250 spots) didn't match, that wasn't the best strategy.

BUT, this turn of events has a silver lining. I now can stay in the same city while my husband finished his last year of residency.Another thing is that while I love that field clinically, I know that I need a career that is clincial plus. Plus what? Still unsure- doubtful academic research, but policy, administration, quality control interest me greatly. It would be nice to use that MPH after all. And that "plus" includes a family life, too. Which we'd like to get started on ASAP.

I'm actually re-thinking the lifestyle aspect and now thinking more seriously about EM. (Music to Popcorn's ears!)

I still have options to scramble for prelim surg or med here, but I don't think I'll take them. For one thing, they would not necessarily help me if I still want ENT next year (see my post under specialities for more info). Plus, I do want a chance to get pregnant this year and I refuse to do that in an internship. Then we can pick and move together (hopefully closer to our families) for our respective residency and fellowhsip.

I have 4 job interviews this week ranging from ENT research, EM research, quality control, and medical education. If I don't stick to ENT this year, I may be kissing it goodbye, but I may be ok with that trade-off.

So that it is.

Good luck all!

More
14 years 9 months ago #25076 by sargasso
doc K, i am so sorry to hear about this!
it makes me so mad that they actually told you that they don't want to intereferer with your marriage! that sounds so discriminatory and illegal! i can't believe that they dind't at least come up with something else! i guess they just "know" that someone isn't going to sue them also becuase that is grounds for a lawsuit!! and you are right, they would have never said htat to a man! that makes me sooo mad!
so are you going to reeenter this match next year? i am a 2nd year and am not sure how this works.
thanks for sharing too! :grouphug:

More
14 years 9 months ago #25077 by Popcorn
Oh K, that sucks!

Think bright side... go for the research, get published, and see what happens. You never know. It could be a blessing in disguise. (I'm trying to think positively!)

And I'm annoyed that you ran into what you did... you're probably right about them not saying that to a man. Gr...

Have you done an EM rotation? Either you love it or you hate it - make sure you love it, and it might be an option.

Good luck with whatever you choose, even though I'm sure you weren't planning on having to deal with this.

Danielle

More
14 years 9 months ago #25078 by Popcorn
Oh, just thought about this- any way you could do a fellowship with NIH or CDC? I seem to remember something about postgrad positions with them - I don't know what city it would be, but that would put your MPH to work, too.

Just a random thought,
Danielle

More
14 years 9 months ago #25079 by sleighcastle
Hi all,
I'm a third-year and so not stressing about match _yet_ but I'm beginning to really think about residencies. I really want to do g-surg and didn't know if I was crazy or what because of the demands on my time, but there seem to be a number of future surgeons on this board! How are you guys planning on managing? I have an 8-year-old daughter who is NOT thrilled about the idea of mom working 100 hour weeks....oops, I mean 80-hour...because everyone follows the rules, right? ;)
Thanks for any input,
Shannon at UCSD

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!