× Women Medical Students

Med School and work????

More
16 years 9 months ago #25122 by nogradrn03
I have been pondering the idea of med school for several years now, had kids and got RN licence (good experience and exposure to the hospital setting and helps pay the bills)and have decided to go for it :goodvibes:

However, when I get to med school (am pre med this fall)I wonder if will I be able to continue working??? I worked 20-32 hours a week during nursing school (lecture was 2-3 times a week for 4-5 hours and two 8 hour clinicals a week for two years) and survived with little disruption to family (very supportive husband). Do any of you guys still work? How much? How do you get by and survive class, kids, husband, study, work? Any tips/advice welcome!

Thanks,
Nicole :confused:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #25123 by rockfever
I am interested to hear about this because i am wondering if i can work part time doing medical transcription while in medical school.

More
16 years 9 months ago #25124 by gyngirl
Hi,

I'm a full-time med student, and I don't think it would be possible, for me at least, to work while in med school. That said, I do help out my husbnd at his business, but we're talking maybe 4 hours a week. And quite frankly, even that's a bit too much to handle.

I know a nurse in my class worked last semester. But she had taken a summer class and one of the classes a year before, so her schedule was really light. Another classmate is a phlebotomist 1 night per week.

I'm going on my 4th week in a row of a Monday exam, which means studying the entire weekend. There is just no way I could handle a job. The school load is just too heavy.

Mindy

More
16 years 9 months ago #25125 by MelissaGray
I'm with Mindy. There is no way that I could work, do decently in med school, and leave any time for my family. There are a handful of my classmates who work a handful of hours/week along with a few who do a few hours of workstudy. They are the exception, not the rule.

Med school course load is nothing like undergrad or grad school course load.

More
16 years 9 months ago #25126 by drmoo55
i didn't have time for much other than getting to my exercise class, taking a tv break here and there & hanging out with other med students to get a break from the grind.

some students did "work" - they were paid to "push pitocin" in L&D - they could study while doing this, but had to be ready to catch a baby if necessary

More
16 years 9 months ago #25127 by JCD
so related to this topic... can anyone comment on med school and working out? I know drmoo mentioned getting to her excercise class...
this is pretty important to me because I can't imagine having no physical activity for 4 years besides walking the wards the thrid year.
did you have time to stay healthy? gym/activity 3-4 days a week?

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!