× Women Medical Students

trying to be prepared

More
16 years 10 months ago #25265 by zahra
Studying for the classes the summer before you begin is probably not going to do you much good. But one thing that made a big difference, and that has saved me a LOT of TIME in the long run, is this:

Usually they give out a packet of the day's lecture notes in advance. Before the lecture, read these notes once (take maybe 1 hour), then attend the lecture. After the lecture, read these notes carefully again (1 hour), using an additional book to clarify any confusing points. Then, the following day, read the lecture one more time (1/2 hour or so) to remind yourself of what was in it.

I walk 20 minutes to get from the house to the lecture. So rather than letting my mind wander during that time, I use those 20 minutes to recall/recite the main contents of the lecture notes mentioned above. So that is no extra time lost. Same with things like the shower-- using these "idle" times to recall is so easy, yields good results and saves so much time!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 10 months ago #25266 by MelissaGray
Any other suggestions?

More
16 years 10 months ago #25267 by spacecadet
Thanks for these suggestions. I'm also getting ready to start school this fall. I feel like I really ought to be doing something (especially since I haven't taken any classes for a year). It's nice to hear that it's ok - and good - to take it easy right now.

I'm going to have about an hour commute each way to school. Classes are 8-noon most days. My plan is to take the bus in the morning and stay on campus to study after class. Hubby has daycare onsite so he will pick up and drop off the kids. Then we'll all get home around the same time. I'm hoping I won't have to study at home too often.

Think this is doable? I'm a crammer by nature, but I think this will help me stay on track.

Of course, when clinicals start (2nd semester of 2nd year for me), it's going to be a different story. How do you all deal with family/commute/daycare while doing clinicals or residency? I'm not too hot on getting a nanny.

Pam

More
16 years 10 months ago #25268 by MelissaGray

Originally posted by spacecadet:
I'm hoping I won't have to study at home too often.

Think this is doable? I'm a crammer by nature, but I think this will help me stay on track.

Pam,

It's hard to predict in advance. I had planned on studying at home from 8 pm (when my daughter goes to bed) until midnight-2. Unfortunately, this didn't work for me (primarily the studying at home...I quickly revert back to stay-at-home-mom mode when I'm at home!). I also require a bit more study time than I had thought. I imagine that your commute on the bus could be good study time for you.

That said, I see a huge variation of study habits & time requirements in my class. Hopefully it will work for you as you are planning...just be sure that you adjust quickly in the semester if it is not working so that your grades don't suffer too much.

Melissa

More
16 years 10 months ago #25269 by zahra

My plan is to take the bus in the morning and stay on campus to study after class. Hubby has daycare onsite so he will pick up and drop off the kids. Then we'll all get home around the same time. I'm hoping I won't have to study at home too often.

You'll have to figure things out as you go along, and make adjustments accordingly, but I think you might find this plan to work really well for you. You might need more time to study than you predicted, especially during the first few months, but if you keep a good schedule of doing as much as you can on the campus, you can get a lot done.

As for "nothing-to-do" times like the hour-long commute, try mentally going through the material for a lecture, glancing at your notes whenever you need a prompt. That is not nearly as hard-core as studying with notes, textbook, etc which would probably make you carsick, but it really does go a long way.

More
16 years 10 months ago #25270 by spacecadet
Thanks ladies. I'm glad to see that you think my plan is reasonable. Now, I just hope it really works out that way!!!

Pam

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!