× Women Medical Students

Step 1 Study Vent

More
13 years 4 months ago #25607 by plum
So here I am, sequestered, alone with my First-Aid and laptop reviewing for step 1. Not that I think this is totally futile, but haven't I been preparing for this for the last two years? If I have worked hard and done well and learned mechanisms of things rather than memorizing things (which is how I learn, I can't memorize stuff) how much difference is this 4 week review going to make?

I'm doing this review because I feel like I should but I really wonder, how much of a difference does it really make?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #25608 by sugar
Seriously....the next 4 weeks will make a huge difference. If you don't believe me sign up for usmleworld or kaplan q bank right now and take a test. Then study for a week and take another test. I think online qbanks are the holy grail of test preparation for the medical boards. They give you immediate feedback, they show that your studying isn't totally futile, and they prepare you for the format which I think improves your score. I don't work for an online qbank - I promise! It will be over soon and step one is the hardest to prepare for!

More
13 years 4 months ago #25609 by plum
I am doing qbank, and my scores are slowly creeping up. I am sure you are right Sugar, but this is NO FUN at all. :weeping:
Back to viruses!
-Plum

More
13 years 4 months ago #25610 by sugar
I hear you! I used coffee, little frosted ginger snaps and exercise breaks to keep me motivated. I studied in a quiet room at my school that had the little tiny gym next to it. It seems like yesterday....oh the good times!

More
13 years 4 months ago #25611 by RachelAnne319
I totally feel you on the lack of motivation vibe. Our school makes us take a practice board exam in March, before we're even done classes, and once I passed that, it's been tough to feel like I need to study really hard core for this. Here's hoping we can all stick it out just a bit longer... I'm hating every minute of it too, but at least clerkships are on the other side!

More
13 years 4 months ago #25612 by Drey
I'm about ready to cry. I've been studying for 3 weeks and still don't feel like I know anything. These practice tests just leave me feeling totally inadequate, like I might as well not have studied because I'm going to fail anyways. There's so much biochemsitry and cellular biology that i have no idea about, and i feel like I"m forgetting more than I'm learning. The test is tomorrow, and I'm in the failure mindset. Not a good sign.

I don't have anything helpful to contribute, because what should seem like the light at the end of the tunnel to me is more like the lamp of an incoming train.

:no:

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!