× Women Medical Students

Step 1 Study Vent

More
13 years 4 months ago #25619 by mrssd
Kate- I can sympathize with you! I am 17 weeks and by 9pm I am sound asleep using my books as a pillow. Not to mention, I have read more than once that progesterone makes you forget things--really comforting with the biggest test of my life rapidly approaching.
My husband is also studying right beside me and he is definitely no source of humor or socialization. He is way more into the studying that I am at this point and every time I take a break to eat dinner or take a shower he is right there trying to teach me something or saying "have you seen this qbank question." He even knocked on the door when I was going to the bathroom! :yikes: For goodness sakes, I just want to eat dinner or pee without thinking about this test!
I am dying to go shopping for baby things, go to a movie or go out to eat a nice meal without thinking I should be studying. I have a few more weeks of this--I hope I last!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #25620 by KateBF
We should probably start our own forum to vent about taking the USMLE pregnant. My husband is just like that--totally invested in studying, whereas I'm totally invested in looking up baby stuff on the internet and sleeping in. It's so annoying, but I'm happy that he hasn't let me bring him down. At least ONE of us should pass this test! It's so scary to think of failing and what an inconvenience that would be in terms of next year and vacation time, not to mention that I'm sure once I have the baby I'll be this close to calling it quits. Just the fear of failing this test makes me want to cash in my chips! I'm taking the test June 14th. Let me know when you're taking it and I'll think positive thoughts for you.

More
13 years 4 months ago #25621 by ParrotHead81
You ladies are my new heros!! I know I'm struggling to stay motivated; but you two take the cake!

Since we're going to start trying in a few months; I have become baby obsessed :) But I can't imagine how hard it would be to study if I was actually pregnant You ladies Rock! :)

Confession: My major motivator to pass is so that I can keep my 4th year vacation time for maternity leave.

Thanks for the Social Break! :) Even though hubby and I eat and sleep together; thats about it at the moment. He's got his final thesis defense and crit the day I take my boards. There's just a little stress in our house this week!

Best wishes!! (on boards and the pregnancies, too!!)

More
13 years 4 months ago #25622 by sugar
I feel for you ladies who are taking the boards pregnant. I had such a hard time concentrating and studying while I was pregnant. I think my attention span and ability to remember things was at about 50% and my back pain and urinating frequency was at like 300%. Good luck!

More
13 years 4 months ago #25623 by mrssd
I supposed the best thing about being pregnant while taking boards is that I have a great motivation to keep going. I want to have enough maternity leave to stay with the baby and I want to be in a good position for matching because I don't want to just end up in any big city with enough programs that we can easily couples match.
But, I am jealous of all of the people in the library that sit and study for hours and I am up every hour to either go to the bathroom or have a snack!
Anyway, I take the test in 3 weeks. I think that leaves me enough time to study and get distracted every once in a while.

And on another note—has anyone noticed that certain material that was really difficult for you 1st year now seems so much easier. I must be getting smarter ;) or at least better at learning because it just seems easier for me to review and pick up on things that I once thought were really difficult. See—that is what they call a silver lining.
:D

More
13 years 4 months ago #25624 by plum
I am feeling for you pregnant ladies too, that has to be tough. I feel like all my friends/family who have had babies were kind of flaky during that time, studying has to be rough, I would just want to think about the baby too. My husband and I tried for the 1st time last month. No luck but I take the exam Friday and we have a romantic weekend rendezvous planned.......should be fun. Hopefully I'll start gettiing some ovulatory signs soon, I am sure my ovaries are freaked out with us moving and the exam stress.

I am wrapping things up. Since I only have 2.2 days of studying left I am just reviewing stuff and qbank. I am kind of feeling like, this test is the culmination of 2 years, so if I don't know something know it is unlikely I will Friday.

I am kind of glad I didn't get PG last month. I am drinking a BOTTLE of wine Friday night (slowly, don't worry).
Plum :boggled:

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!