× Women Medical Students

moms in medical school

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #26065 by swhook
My story is even a little more unique than some I have read.
Going to medial school is the beginning of what I hope will be a second career. I'm 35 yrs old, married for 12 years and have a 3y/o son. I have a Ph.D. in Psychology and worked in the field for a number of years.
My day goes something like this:
6:00 up, making breakfast and lunches while my husband showers and dresses.
6:45 My husband dress our son while I shower
7:30 They leave the house and I finish up and head to campus. Try to get a little work in before class at 9:00
9:00 - 4:30 Pretty much in class the entire time except for lunch when we have meeting and presentations
4:30 head home and start dinner.
5:30 Husband and son come in. Have dinner with them
6:00 leave the house to study until I can't stand it anymore.
On Saturday, I leave the house are 9:00 and study most of the day. I try to spend time with my family on Saturday night and we go to church together on Sunday mornnig. I spend the rest of the day Sunday studying. On Monday it starts all over again.
As you can tell, I spend about 30 minutes a night with my family and time with them on Saturday night and Sunday morning. It's not much but it is all I have.
Thankfully, my husband is a wonderful man who is able to do "EVERYTHING."
Nothing lasts forever, right???? Someday my family will see me again. I just hope they recognize me when that happens.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 week ago #26066 by Patty
This forum is GREAT!!!!! I thougth I was the only 34 year old woman studying Medicine in Italy in the whole world!!!! But I found so much of you I am very happy about it. I am a mother of a boy of 8. But I decided to send him to his father for 3 years in order to finish my career and then he will be back with me. This doesn't means I won't see him in this period, since every vacation I will be going at my home country (Panama) to visit him. He is very proud of me. I am married to a wonderful man who supports my desire to become a physician, and at least my boy's father will take care of him for these 3 years. I would be very glad to change info about your university careers as well as mine's Ciao a tutti!!!

More
16 years 4 hours ago #26067 by dvorih
I am an MS 1 and have three children. My daughters are five and seven, and my son was born on August 30th - two weeks into my first year (yes, he was a big surprise). The faculty and students at UCONN have been amazingly supportive these past few months. John was a month premature and I required a C-Section (my other two were vaginal). I took 2 1/2 weeks off school and was granted a no-take on the first exam. So far I am surviving and honestly have never been happier. My husband is a business exceutive and travels frequently. However, his salary is very good and we can afford to have a nanny 40 hours a week. My parents also help out and live only a few miles away.

At times it is difficult to balance everything and I try to take things a day at a time. I have done well on the two exams I have had ( and should be studying for the third right now). There are a couple of other mothers in my class, but their children are older than mine. We also have a couple of fathers with young children.

Time to create page: 0.241 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!