× Women Medical Students

First day?

More
17 years 5 months ago #26187 by MelissaGray
For those of you starting med school this year:
When does it begin?

I'll be at OSUCOM and we have orientation starting Aug 12, white coat Aug 17, and classes begin Aug 19.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago #26188 by DO2B
Hey "fellow" new student osteopath! I'll be starting at MSUCOM this Aug.

Orientation starts Aug 15, white coat on Aug 23, and classes start on the 26th. I'm excited but, a little nervous, too. It probably sounds trivial or silly, but one of the things I'm worried about, is "sticking out" as an older student (I'm young-looking for my age, but at 43, there's no mistaking me for a twenty-something!).

I've been an older student for much of my college career..even in grad school, so it's not like that part is new to me. Anyway, I'm sure I'll get past it, just as I have all the other hurdles I've surpassed to get to this point.

Good luck to all the rest of you 1st years out there!

More
17 years 5 months ago #26189 by cazza
I wouldn't worry too much about sticking out. I am a 35 year old 1st year med student in Australia (we started in Feb), and the only time I feel as if I "stick out" is when I consciously think about the age difference. The rest of the time, you just feel the same as everyone else. I really think it is an advantage being older. You have so much more life experience, and can share that with others. We have a problem based learning course, which promotes a lot of discussion between students, and this really allows you to reflect on how much your thinking has changed since you left high school.
Just enjoy the experience! These have been the best few months of my life, and I am really looking forward to the next 4 1/2 years of Med school. You will probably find that you are by no means the only mature-aged student in the group. I was surprised at just how many there are in my year. In the course in general at the moment there are a number in their forties and even fifties. So don't dispair. ENJOY>

More
17 years 5 months ago #26190 by MelissaGray

Originally posted by DO2B:
one of the things I'm worried about, is "sticking out" as an older student

I can definitely relate. I have *chatted* with a number of future classmates and have found ~4 that are my age or older, one with kids. I'm sure there are some more.

As opposed to you, I've always been the youngest in school and work. This will be quite a reversal for me!
:eek:

I do know, however, that I will make a much better med student now than I would have straight out of college.

More
17 years 5 months ago #26191 by EemaMD
Enjoy it gals... you've earned it! And before you know it the grind will begin (like by week 2) and you will be caught up in the eddy of med school.

I still get goosebumps when I remember my first day. We were all sitting in crowded lecture room and they had a formal (one time only) role call. We each stood as our names were called. It was very cool. Of course, there were people called that we never saw again for various reasons, but that day will always be special to me.

Linda

More
17 years 5 months ago #26192 by sleighcastle
Hey! Anyone going to UCSD in the fall???
I'm afraid I'll be the only mommy there.

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!