× Women Medical Students

First day?

More
17 years 2 months ago #26205 by DO2B
Oops! That 1 was supposed to be an !

I also wanted to add (to all here) that out of my class of 126 students...I've only found one other person who has kids!(so far) There is a guy who has grey hair, but I didn't want to be rude and ask his age....so I'm feeling a bit alone at 43 with three teenaged sons :( Don't get me wrong...we have a really nice group, and I'm interacting with alot of them (even recruiting players for my women's soccer team! :D ) but I guess i was hoping for a couple of other moms (or dads) that I could connect with. Ah well, I guess the most important thing is that we all will have the common experience of going through med school together!

Hope everyone else's orientations (and first days) are going well.

Cheers,
Sue

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 months ago #26206 by futr_babyDOc
Orientation is over, and we start our FIRST DAY tomorrow!!! I am sooooo nervous that I don't know what to do. I'm trying to calm down though. My husband and I are both starting NYCOM. Good luck everyone when school starts, and if the axe that is about to drop doesn't cut my head off, I'll continue to post. :eek: :D

More
17 years 2 months ago #26207 by Lindsey
Congratulations on the start of your medical career to all of you who are starting this week, and GOOD LUCK! I think for most of us, accomplishments have come pretty easily. If we hadn't always been able to do it all, then we probably wouldn't have even considered medical school to begin with. That's certainly the case for me anyway.

Medical school has proven to be QUITE a challenge....but a challenge is what I was looking for. I found it. It is, bar none, the single most difficult thing I have done in my life, and I have had to work so hard to do well. I also have to say, though, that it is the most rewarding thing I have ever done.

I remember my first week--last year--thinking as I looked over my reading assignments, "There is NO WAY I can do all of this!" Amazing...I DID all of that, and learned more in that one year than I probably learned in any 5 year period in school before. And because it's so much and so intense, I made a rule for myself about half-way through the first semester... "Don't get emotionally involved with your school work." In other words....do everything you need to do for each and every class, but beyond that don't sweat it.

Just do the best you can do, and the rest will work itself out. Granted, that's easier said than done, and I had to remind myself over and over, but I know that my little rule has helped to make medical school fun for me instead of a drag.

When we started back this year, I was so pumped about it....many of my classmates weren't. I'd hate to be going through all of this and not enjoying it. So....consider this a friendly tip....take medical school for what it is, and know that you can make it wonderful or horrible just by the way you think about it and by the degree that you let it stress you out.

More
17 years 2 months ago #26208 by MomMD
Just want to wish you all GOOD LUCK!!!!! Let us know how you get on!

Sethina

President, MomMD<br />Connecting Women in Medicine - Welcome all physicians, resident physicians, medical students and premedical students!

More
17 years 2 months ago #26209 by glennvally
Lindsey,

I just wanted to say "Right On!" I completely agree with you that life is what you make it, and you can choose to be excited and challenged or you can choose to be stressed out and full of dread.

With your attitude, you're going to be a great doc and one of the ones who never regrets her choice!

Best of luck to you~

Val

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!