× Women Medical Students

Best time to have a baby (or another)?

More
17 years 3 months ago #26444 by marjmed
Hi, I would like to be pregnant my 3rd or 4th year of med school but am concerned about being on-call during my clinicals. Do all of the clinical rotations require being on-call? Can anyone tell me which rotations involve that (I know surgery is one) and what that involves (staying up all night?, extra hours of work?, etc.) Thanks so much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 3 months ago #26445 by sugar72
Has anyone adopted during medical school or residency, or know anyone that has? Is it treated the same as maternity leave?

More
17 years 3 months ago #26446 by futr_babyDOc
Hello everyone,

I am new to MomMD and I already love this site! Anyway, both my husband and I will be starting med school this fall and we definitely want to start a family somewhere along the way. I know this will be extremely difficult since BOTH of us will be in med school, but we were thinking to have our first baby during my second year of residency. I plan to specialize in OB/GYN, which I am aware is notorious for grueling work hours. My hubby wants to be an ophthalmologist. We figured that would be the best time, especially since I'm not getting any younger. By then I will be 31. Are we waiting too long? And should I worry about obtaining a "pregnant-friendly" residency? I know I have so many questions but I just need advice. Is there anyone out there who has done this successfully? :confused: I would love for you to share your experiences.

More
17 years 3 months ago #26447 by GracieThree
futrbabydoc-

In general, here are some times you could have a baby and not be penalized for it time-wise:

You should have two or three months off between first and second year of med school - if your planned it right (and things followed your schedule! :) ) that could be a good time.

During your fourth year, you get to chose your own schedule. I think this applies to nearly all MD schools but I can't speak for DO schools - maybe an osteopath could post a reply? At any rate, if you plan the pregnancy, you could arrange your schedule however you wanted it that year.

During residency - I know a couple of women, myself included, who conceived toward the end of intern year so they could deliver second year, then get back on track again for job interviews during the third year. This of course applies to a three year residency. I know some who have taken off only the vacation time that they had saved up, then others who took anywhere from seven weeks to four months off and made up the time at the end of the residency. If you aren't planning on a fellowship, making up that time off at the end of your training may affect nothing but eligibility to take Boards. I planned it so that I would finish residency just two days before the cut-off date for eligibility to sit for the Boards on time.

I don't know of any "pregnancy friendly" residencies. Does anyone else? I'd love to know, I am mentoring a female medical student who I know wants to have a baby during training.

More
17 years 3 months ago #26448 by futr_babyDOc
GracieThree,

Thank you so much for the advice. From what I know, we can schedule our own rotations during 4th year also. Wow, I never thought about having one the summer after 1st year! That kind of makes it too real too fast. Oh well, thanks again.

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!