× Women Medical Students

Is it possible to commute to medical school?

More
15 years 9 months ago #26470 by shelby2000
I am wondering if anyone is or has commuted to medical school from home? I live in a small town in Louisiana and the closest medical school to me is about an hour to an hour and a half away. Does anyone think it is impossible to commute, or is it out of the question?

Many have told me it is possible and of course many think it is crazy. A man in my English class said his wife commuted about 2-3 hours to law school every week and she earned her degree and is now practicing law.

Any advice would be great!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #26471 by efex101
One of the schools that accepted me is about 1 hour away and from what I have gathered talking to various students is to *not* attempt to commute. They say that once you get going and you are really pressed for time just to take care of "everyday" things that these two hours lost in commute will be a pain. Have some people done it? sure, but do you want to put yourself through that? I personally do not. Medical school is hard enough in itself and to add a commute such as the one you mentioned would be another burden IMHO.

More
15 years 9 months ago #26472 by MTaylor
In Los Angeles or San Francisco, even if you live only 20 miles from school...you're commute very well be an hour or more. So, is it doable? Absolutely. I actully lived only 30 minutes from school...and people thought I was crazy. And my home was in the same city as the school.

However, as efex stated, medical school is very tough...and first year for some (for ?most) is the most difficult. If you have other alternatives, I would recommend having a place closer to school. You can always drive home everyday anyway...and after the first semester, or first year, you can reconsider.

Also, during your 3rd year particularly (when you're trying to impress people in the specialties you may be interested in) you may find yourself arriving to the hospital at 4am. You may not get to leave the hospital until 9pm. That's 7 hours to spare....so 2 on the freeway becomes *very* significant. True, this isn't all year...but it happens enough to think about having a room (or something) closer to school, just in case.

<a href=" www.coilyembrace.com " rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> www.coilyembrace.com </a>

More
15 years 9 months ago #26473 by Med4Mom
I am still waiting for an acceptance.... but if I get it I will be attending a school 1.5-2 hours from my home. I will not try to come home every night though, I will stay with a sister through the week, and come home maybe on Wed nights and on the weekends. I feel that the added stress of driving (in Canadian winter conditions too :tired: ) every day would be just too much to bear. On the other hand, being away from my dh and kids during the week will not be easy... :no: .

Edited to say: When I was taking my pre-reqs, I commuted about 55 mins door to door, and I actually found the time in the car very relaxing. It was my time to psych up for school or chill down before seeing my family, and it went a long way towards "me" time. I got to listen to newsradio (uninterrupted) and whatever music I wanted, and had lots of time to think.... It was actually much less painful than I had anticipated it being. But I feel that the added pressure of medschool plus the added commute time make commuting next year unfeasible.

More
15 years 9 months ago #26474 by residentmom
My question is: do you HAVE to commute? If you have the option I would definitely live closer. If you are worried about money, know that it is probably well worth it to spend the money on a small apt. near school, as far as maintaining your sanity goes. If you are single, your school may have a list of people looking for roommates... a good way to get a fellow student when you don't know anyone.

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

More
15 years 9 months ago #26475 by emomdoc
My commute varies from forty-five minutes to an hour and a half depending on construction and whether classes require me to travel during rush hour. I know there are a couple of others in my class who drive even further so it can be done, but to be honest, I only attended about four lectures from my last block of classes because I felt the two plus hours on the road would be better spent studying from home.

Problem is that required labs are part of many clases and I will be making the trip much more often again. It makes for long days, and more time away from the kids adds guilt, but it certainly can be done.

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!