× Women Medical Students

Match Day Looming!

More
13 years 11 months ago #27236 by derm momma
Hey all you M4s out there (and recent grads like me),

Just curious what all you are planning on going into and how things are going as you wait for Match Day. I turned in my rank list at the end of Jan. My DH and I just wanted to have it in and done with. But I do have nagging thoughts about switching around my #2 and #3. . .For awhile, after interviews, it seemed like time was totally dragging, but now we've only got 3 weeks-yea!

So, please indulge me (and hopefully others) by posting: residency you're applying for, where you want to match, and how you're passing the time until you find out. :)

Me:
-Applied to dermatology and prelim medicine/TYs
-#1 U of Iowa (derm) and a medicine prelim
-Passing time soaking up all the fun I can before internship with my DD and praying for good news on March 13th! :crossfingers:

BTW—if you are having trouble figuring out how to rank things, go to this great site. It lets you put in your programs, pick the things that are impt to you (e.g., location, faculty stability, safety, etc.) and assign a level of importance to each item. Then you score each program on your selected criteria and it gives you your totals for each program, effectively ranking them for you. Although it did not have all of the things I considered impt., it still definitely helped me with my list. Check it out:
anesthesia.mc.duke.edu/compmatrix/

Blessings!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #27237 by Cabinbuilder
I will be scrambling. I am hoping to get something out West in surgery. IF I can't then plan B is to try to get an osteopathic rotating internship In Las Vegas, buy a house, store my huge amt of stuff there and try again next year for surgery. I have family in Vegas so that's a good jumping off spot for us.

LECOM Class 2006
Osteopathic Family Practice Resdincy 2009
Locum Tenens: Urgent Care/Rural Medicine.

More
13 years 11 months ago #27238 by sugar
I am obsessively checking the realtor.com website to find houses in every area I ranked. I am going into anesthesiology (NRMP willing). Hoping for Birmingham, Al or Nashville. Ranked 9 programs. This is probably the longest 3 weeks ever wiating for that darn computer matching.

I started to use the duke matrix, but I kept changing my mind about what was important to me so I kept redoing it. Finally I just went with gut feeling. Of course also the place with the best house too!

Good luck!

More
13 years 11 months ago #27239 by gyngirl
I ranked 11 programs for OB/Gyn. I really have no idea where I'll end up ... but now I'm thinking how miserable I will be if I end up at my last 2 choices. I'd be happy at any of my top 6 and feel OK (but not ecstatic) at 7,8 or 9. My top choices are pretty competitive programs, so that's why I really have no idea.

I know everyone says that 60% of people get their first choice and 85% get one of their top three - I hope that's the case for me! Its disturbing to me that my family really has no control at this point over where we will live next year. My 7 YO son knows way more about match lists and ranking than he should!

Two weeks from tomorrow we find out if we matched!

More
13 years 11 months ago #27240 by derm momma
Hi Ladies,

Thanks for sharing! Sugar, I may see you in Birmingham as UAB is also one of my top choices. :) What are you going into?

Kathie--so sorry about having to scramble. I had read your posts over time and was pulling for you. I hope that it goes well for you.

Mindy--right there with you! However, with derm being so competitive, I will be happy to match. I like all of the programs I ranked and am just counting down until black (white) Monday also.

Anyone else?

More
13 years 11 months ago #27241 by sugar
Anesthesiology is my future! I loved birmingham - good housing market, lots of culture - who would have guessed! Is derm all categorical or advanced? Just wondering if you interviewed at any transitional year programs there.

Min - I totally have that feeling of dread with my last choice. I think I would be pretty happy at all of the rest of them. I was just so anxious about getting a "i am sorry you have not matched" message.

I have plugged in the match day and time to my countdown feature on my cell phone and can check anytime to see how many days, hours, minutes until I find out if I matched, where I matched, when I finish my rotations, and graduation. I have some serious senioritis!

Time to create page: 0.221 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!