× Women Medical Students

first year burnout

More
15 years 10 months ago #27611 by SuzzyQ

does anyone else find it hard being older and having so little in common with everyone outside of the coursework?

YES!!! What is really sad too is that we have a good size group of women with husbands/kids in our class but becuase I skip class and they do not, I feel that they have really pushed me out of the "group". I get alot of negitive comments from them. Also, when I have asked to meet them to study, I have been blown off and they never invite me to go with them. It's very upsetting. I was expecting to have more in common with the other women who are in the same situation as I am but it really seems to be no different than before medical school. I do have a group of classmates that I study with and do stuff with other than school related (aerobics, shopping, etc) but it is very hurtful, i think, that the people who should be able to relate to me haven't tried. sorry about the down post. this just hit home and i needed to get it off of my chest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #27612 by rockfever
hi! i guess i am in a slump i actually thought it was me adjusting to med school and sleeping when i need to sleep, etc. i don't study as much or as hard as last semester and i dont' stress out as much about it. but i do get bogged down sometime and the thing that has kept me going is to keep reminding myself that next year this phase of med school will be over. to some people next year sounds far away but to me it sounds close. i know how fast a year can go. then i realize that this will all be behind me soon and i just need to keep going. this too shall pass.

as far as being older and having nothing in common. definitely yes. i have even found that a couple of years makes a difference. and people without families even though they are the same age definitley cannot relate. i wonder if it is age or me sometimes though as even i i was younger i wouldn't be out drinking and partying.

More
15 years 10 months ago #27613 by emomdoc
I have two exams coming up next week that I really should be studying for so I shouldn't be sitting here, but I have found that I feel better after I visit mommd so I am cutting myself some slack and wanted to post.

It's funny you mention about not wanting to party even when you were younger... I had my first child when I was seventeen, so I never did a whole lot of going out and partying, but judging by my e-mail from school, that is all anybody does nowdays! I think that is one of the things that makes me feel old and outcast - all these after exam parties and social events don't interest me, and I cannot find time to get involved with the extracurricular volunteer stuff. I am doing well just to be getting by right now. I am trying to stay focused and look at the big picture and figure that once we get to the clinical years a lot of this won't feel as depressing to me. In the meanwhile, it is good to know I am not as alone as I thought.

More
15 years 10 months ago #27614 by shauna,MS,MomMD2B

Originally posted by rockfever:
the thing that has kept me going is to keep reminding myself that next year this phase of med school will be over... this will all be behind me soon and i just need to keep going. this too shall pass.

This is ALL I dream about!!!

I'm a 37 yo AA Christian woman, so I don't solidly fit in at school anywhere (that I've found yet). It IS a very lonely existence at school, :guilty: but I have my best friend (my Hubby) to talk to every night. :)
I also have a GREAT supportive extended family with whom I'm VERY close. We're all like-minded and get along very well. This is where I find my fellowship, not so much at school. :no:

I do relate to some of the older family-orientated women in my class though. We talk about having babies while in med school, and stuff like that. That's a blessing to have people to relate to about SOMETHING.

Shauna

More
15 years 10 months ago #27615 by sarah/t
Okay, so we all sound a little depressed, I too have gone through the feeling lonely and sad at school. and I'm only one out of two mom's that skip class on a regular basis. On top of that, when I do talk about missing class I always feel obligated (for prides sake) to mention that I'm still doing better than ())&*&(& portion of my class so... :rotfl:
I think, after reading all of your comments, its clear now that there are others out there who are going through exactly what we are going through. I'm so grateful that I found this website today.
There's a mountain facing all medical students, but you really don't realize that its Everest until you've had children. Good luck everyone. I'll be reading away. (I'm a 25 yr old mom of two, who feels like the old lady of the class in some ways and in others, feels as though maturity and grace have skipped a beat) rotfl

More
15 years 10 months ago #27616 by catwoman
Hi,

The first year burn out is totally normal and I think, in retrospect, comes from a variety of places. Finally, your dream of being a doctor is a lot closer to coming true -- you made it into med school, which is itself a huge achievement. But now you have to deal with the reality of medicine, and there's a lot to absorb emotionally as well as intellectually. Doctors inevitably aren't the Marcus Welby (or even Jane Seymour/ Medicine Woman) stereotypes one might expect -- many are total assholes, but then again, many more are terrific.

The grind does get a lot better. Once you're in clinics, things really click. If you persist, you will make it. I know I went from being a very mediocre to poor student in the pre-clinical years (mainly because of very inadequate pre-medical courses and lots of cramming while working full time -- I had little clue about how to cope with the material) -- to being a star in the clinics and having a fantastic Dean's letter reflect all my work.

In first year, the way to keep yourself going professionally is to organize, organize, organize. Keep every scrap of notes you take in all the classes and whenever you study -- you will make sense of it over the summer and it will cut down your Step 2 studying if you can make files on each subject you have to tackle so you won't have to start from scratch. My friend made gorgeous binders on every subject and in second year she was totally set.

Keep to a set routine that also includes some kind of self renewal -- exercise, time with family, whatever really keeps you going.

Don't try to be perfect. It's ok to let certain parts of your life slide a little as you try to survive this tough year. You will make it. If you're passing your courses, you're already doing a lot that's right.

Good luck and keep up the great work.

Catwoman

Time to create page: 0.233 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!