× Women Medical Students

getting tired-help!

More
16 years 11 months ago #27737 by Laurie
Hi everyone. I just wanted to see if I could get a little encouragement that things are going to get better. I am a second year medical student. I had to repeat my first year due to a couple of marginal grades, so this is really my third full year of medical school. I feel like I am stressed out and studying constantly and not getting enough time with my husband and six year old daughter. Can anyone tell me that the third and fourth year and/or residency will be any better (I'm planning to do psych)? Some days I feel like throwing in the towel. Any support would be appreciated. I am one of the only moms in my class. The other two have children in high school, so it's a little different for them. Most of my non-med. school friends are stay at home, room mothers, etc. I just feel like an "outlander" at school and with my other friends. Thanks for "listening."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #27738 by erin
Hey Laurie,
I agree that some encouragement would be great about now! I'm only a first year, but it seems like everywhere I look, I hear negative things about medicine and many of my classmates keep threatening to quit (although I know they don't really mean it!). I would love to hear from those that have made it through this!

More
16 years 11 months ago #27739 by Lin
I hope you don't mind my posting as I am a premed.
I have a good friend who graduated from a PA allopathic medical school after having to repeat year one and then transferring to his wife's school after completing his second year when they had their first baby.
He is a psychiatrist in private practice now and loves his work. His wife really helped him keep going, and he did his best to have some time for something other than medicine to survive and thrive!
He brings a really compassionate special quality to his practice and is excellent at what he does. I think they both hated some of what they went through in med school but it got better for them! Good luck!!!

More
16 years 11 months ago #27740 by twinsmom
Hi Laurie,
I'm a MS2 too. I just had my first midterm of the quarter today (Path) and am feeling pretty overwhelmed and worn out. I know where you are coming from - I spent all weekend at the library, away from my twins (just turned 2), and then didn't do as well as I hoped. I can't seem to maintain a baseline amount of studying so that I don't have to cram before exams, (because I also need to spend some time with my babies every day !). I'm the only mom in class, and am in a new class since I took some time off when they were born. Consequently, I'm a weird "outlander" too, in more ways than one. Your classmates can't relate, and your mom-friends don't realize what you're going through either. But, I'm not responding just to commiserate (although it's nice to know that I'm not alone) - there is light ahead. All my old classmate friends (now MS3 and 4s) tell me that 3rd and especially 4th year are a lot better (with the exception of a few malignant, but thankfully brief rotations). And my husband is a psychiatrist, so I can tell you that psych residency and work is much more humane. We will get through this (everyone tells me that these are the worst 6 months of med school), and then we'll be ok. Hang in there! Soon, life will get better. In the mean time, make each moment with your daughter and husband as great as possible - enjoy them, laugh, be silly, don't worry about dirt and clutter in the little bit of time you have together. Keep the faith!

More
16 years 11 months ago #27741 by Laurie
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I feel like the second year is on the downhill run now. Just 4 more major exams and Integrated Clinical Experience (ICE) stuff. I can hardly wait for clinical years; just hope I remember ANYTHING from these first 2 years of cramming info. into my brain!

More
16 years 11 months ago #27742 by momofchris
How odd...I feel exactly the opposite! I used to look forward to starting rotations more than anything- but now that I have a baby, everything has changed. I've had a relatively easy time with my 1st and 2nd year coursework, except for maybe anatomy and neuro (yuck!) I've been able to spend lots of time with my 9-month-old son- I usually just skip lecture and study at home when he takes a nap. It's the idea of starting 3rd year in less than 5 months that has me filled with apprehension and dread. My husband will be the stay-at-home parent to our baby boy, but I really hate the thought of missing all that precious time with him, especially on the tougher rotations. I've even thought about taking a year off and using that time to go ahead and have another baby, just so I can stay at home longer- but of course that would just be delaying the inevitable and it would be even harder to leave 2 kids than 1. Plus, we can't afford two kids on a student loan budget anyway!
I find myself wishing I could just be a stay-at-home mom for a few years, then maybe return to med school when my kid(s) are older. OTOH, from what Laurie says, it's apparently just as tough to leave a 6-year-old as an infant (though at least an older child is in school during the day anyway.) Sigh...I guess there's no easy answer. At least it gets better 4th year, which is mostly elective at my school. Of course, then there's residency, which is another story altogether...

Time to create page: 0.246 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!