× Women Medical Students

Scared about 3rd year--help

More
16 years 6 months ago #28061 by Laurie
Hi there! I am getting really nervous to start my clinical rotations. Can anyone shed some light on what to expect, what a typical day is like, what the responsibilities are, etc. I start with peds in 2 weeks. I am worried about getting yelled at, pimped all the time, humiliated in front of others, etc. Is it really that bad? What are some of the fun things? How much do they actually expect you to know, etc. Thanks for any input!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #28062 by rugratdoc
Laurie, rest assured. Clinical years are far better than the basic science years. You actually feel like you can make some contribution...no matter how small you may feel it is. Inaddition, us pediatricians are pussy cats....peds is not a malignant speciality. Just work hard, be a team player and eager to learn and you will see that you will soar. God Luck.

More
16 years 6 months ago #28063 by eeh2004
Laurie, I started out on Peds as well and was absolutely terrified. I was anxious to start clinical rotations after the first two years but it's so hard when you don't know what to expect. Even though I wasn't interested in peds, I was pleasantly surprised by how willing to teach most everyone was, and got the hang of things pretty quickly. Like rugratdoc said, work hard, read as much as you can, put in the time (within reason) and be willing to work as part of a team and you will do fine. If you have any questions about other rotations, e-mail or PM me.

Erin, PGY-1

More
16 years 6 months ago #28064 by eeh2004
My e-mail address is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

More
16 years 6 months ago #28065 by Missy
Hi Laurie! Don't get too freaked out about 3rd year! It's a lot of fun (sometimes!). I'm just finshing my 3rd year and look back on the whole experience somewhat fondly. Your experience, as a whole, is team dependent. If you get an attending or team that likes to pimp a lot and scare new 3rd years, you'll be s.o.l., but my experience has been that malignant teams/attendings are few...I've run into maybe 2 or 3. Mostly, they pimp to teach...they may not expect you to know the answer all the time and if you do, they'll probably teach you the point anyway. However, I've found that they do expect you to read about your patients and know the ins and outs of the case...disease process, labs you might order, general management (generally, you will not be expected to know detailed specifics about management...ie. experimental treatment, drug doses, etc.)
Surprisingly, I was happy to find out that a lot of attendings and residents don't expect too much out of you the first rotation...and they know that it will take time to get in the groove. By the end of third year, they'll expect you to practically be an intern! So, relax, pay attention, and have fun!
One of the most frustrating things about 3rd year is the amount of time that you'll waste waiting around/ finding where you have to be, at what time/ and figuring out exactly what you're role is. And expect people to forget about you, once in a while.
The best things about third year is the amount you learn over the year, not sitting in classes!!!, meeting cool people (residents like to have fun too!), and figuring out who you are and where you'll contribute the most.
Have a great year! :p

More
16 years 6 months ago #28066 by Laurie
Thanks for your input, gals. Did you feel like you had more or even less time with family during 3rd year? I am hoping for a little more as the first two years have been really difficult for my husband, daughter and I.

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!