× Women Medical Students

p=md?

More
16 years 2 months ago #28379 by SuzzyQ

I find lately that sometimes I have no choice but to skip class in order to increase the number of studyable hours. I just have to. I can't stand doing it really...it just makes me feel guilty

CLASS?! Whats that!!??? :goodvibes:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 months ago #28380 by rockfever
I think that there is a difference in C=md and P=md the way i am thinking about it. at the school i attend, honors could be something like 92%+ depending on the curve, high pass like 88%-92% and Pass- 70%-87%. so you can kill yourself and still potentially get a P if you get 87% ( traditional B) or not kill yourself and get somewhere in that range and still pass. i am not aiming low but sometimes i do wonder if i am stressing out unneccesarily with P still= md. My goal is to study as hard as i can and aim as high as i can but i still that that is probbaly less than if i didn't have a family.
regarding class attendance, they just dropped another class on us this week. i took this week to feel thinsg out and knwo that deifnitley eahc week i will miss 1 or 2 mornings or days in order to get enough suyding in. with being at shcool 9-4 every day how am i suppsoed ot get enough studying in? i am going to try to concentrate this on the days with the most not taking service classes but I can't do that. i honestly think that class helps me but independnet studying helps me more so i have to try to balance the two.

More
16 years 2 months ago #28381 by SuzzyQ
ours is a little different we have:
honors
high pass
pass
low pass
fail

They still haven't told us wich numerical grades go with which (obviously fail is under 70) because this is the first year they have done this. We have numbers until teh end of the semester and then the semester average is turned into a letter grade. I would just be happy with high pass.

More
16 years 2 months ago #28382 by emomdoc
I am so happy to have come across this thread, because I have been struggling with the whole p=md issue. Before I started med school I had tried to convince myself (and my husband) that I would be fine as long as I pass and that the lack of letter grades at my school would take some of the pressure off to get straight A's like I did in undergrad. The only thing is that now I feel like a failure because I haven't honored yet! Instead of relief at passing (which I did feel at first:) I am feeling like I am failing just because I know I could do better. The whole perfectionist thing is killing me.

The other problem is that I feel guilty when I skip lectures, but the time is so much better spent studying at home. I waste two hours a day driving back and forth, and the notes cover EVERYTHING presented in lecture, so logically I don't need to be there, but I still feel bad about taking days off to study. How do you get passed that???

I really need to get over these things because I am stressing myself and my husband needlessly. And this is still only the beginning...

More
16 years 2 months ago #28383 by BellaBoo
It was also a struggle for me at first to accept the P=MD mentality. I think being pregnant since the first month of med school really helped, though. Suddenly I was much more concerned with just getting through without passing out in lab. When I interviewed for med school, I had not one, but several profs/students tell me to decide right now which I would be. Since I've always struggled thinking I'm making a decision that could take me from my family, I made the choice to be a P=MD gal. It's the best choice I could have made. At our school, we have Pass and Pass with Honors. To get Honors in my class, you'd literally have to devote the major portion of your life to studying, since Honors is defined as the top 20% of the class, no matter the numerical grade. So, in my class of anal gunnners, I would have to get somewhere in the 93% to get an honors grade. Otherwise, from 70-93% it's all the same: Pass. I consider this a blessing because it helps me to allow myself to pass without so much guilt. I have to remind myself that I'm doing this to serve others, and a number grade is not always the best indicator of how good a doctor you will be.

Anyone reading this who is still contemplating the issue, I highly advise you to decide before you start med school whether you'll be an honors or a pass gal. And the best advice I could give for a mom who wants to make family her number one priority is to let down your pride and settle for the P.

Love, Sarah

More
16 years 2 months ago #28384 by rockfever
i am struggling with this still. the thing is i am seemingly study quite a bit but i think that the stress of having a family and having to coordinate any move outside of my schedule etc and etc i not allowing me to perform my best. in order to study the amount i think i need to study, i have to lose sleep, and "me" time so that it doesn't cut into fmaily time and inevitably it still does in one way or another even if it is from my mood- cranky from being tired or just plain stressed. so i think that i am going to have to go with p=md.

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!