× Women Medical Students

First day back!

More
12 years 1 month ago #28523 by alkatz
How was everyone's break? Are you ready to return?
I wasn't, but oh well.

Anatomy was interesting....we opened the head today. The lab looked like a disturbing scene out of a hanibal lecter movie!

Sadly, our cadaver's brain had not gotten preserved (likely due to a vascular anomaly) and was really gross, not to mention stinky!

How was your first week back?

The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority. - Ralph W. Sockman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #28524 by twinmom
I went back on the 3rd (I keep my kids' school schedule). I was really ready to ease back in, and here I am. Neuroanatomy is fairly okay, really interesting, but frustrating, since this module isn't as well organized as biochem or genetics were.

This week is really busy for us - I'm sure the lecture folks aren't noticing it, since they're already there in lecture, but we've had an additional 2 hour lecture on patient interviewing, a 3 hour small group on the same (much more useful!), and a 1.5 hour lecture on professionalism lapses. That's a lot for an independent study person! Fortunately I'm "done" for the week and "all" I have to do is learn this neuroanatomy stuff. ;)

More
12 years 1 month ago #28525 by hilseb
Ooooh, they removed the brains for us, and I am grateful. We are now studying them in neuroanatomy. So far, I am hoping this semester will be easier. I started the MPH program and started biostatistics this week.

*shudder*

<a href=" www.momstinfoilhat.com " target="_blank"> www.momstinfoilhat.com </a> <br /> <a href=" www.foodielovespicky.blogspot.com " target="_blank"> www.foodielovespicky.blogspot.com </a>

More
12 years 1 month ago #28526 by twinmom
Pre-removed brains? Wow. I really hated anatomy (I almost vomited on a cadaver during an exam... things were getting pretty bad by the end for me), but the day we opened the skull (ah, what a euphemism there) was one of the best. Seeing all the sinuses and how everything fit was pretty special. Add to that being able to keep our Circle of Willis intact, and seeing how our cadaver's cancer had metastasized (subdural metastasis right where the middle meningeal artery popped out in front of the temporal lobe) and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

All of that being said, I'm not going in for the "optional wet lab" demonstration for my current neuroanatomy module. (I want to take the exam before that, and I really do have a rough time with the smell.)

More
12 years 1 month ago #28527 by asunshine
I'm back, too, and it looks like a tough semester ahead. It seems like a theme for me that the beginning of every semester is going to be hard. Being a non-science major, each subject is completely new to me, so it takes a long time to just get the basics down. Can I say how sick I am of "you should remember this from P-chem" or "I'm sure you've all used the Nernst equation many times". No!

We have physiology, neuroscience, cell/tissue biology and clinical continuum this semester. How about everyone else?

More
12 years 1 month ago #28528 by plum
I was back to my surgery rotation this week after 9.5 months off with my first baby.

At first things were fine. I was OK with her in daycare, she was fine in daycare. And THEN, the "stomach flu" spread through her daycare like wildfire and she was almost admitted for dehydration on Wednesday afternoon plus the difficulty of trying to juggle either me or dh to be home since now of course we are both working.

Luckily we have made it through this week with each of us only having to officially take a day off even though she has been home with one of us since Wednesday (my schedule has been light).

And of course the surgery director is only mildly understanding of what it means to be a mom in medicine. (he is a guy with a SAH wife) This has been a good learning week of how hard it is going to be. I pretty much have learned that I can't be all things to all people anymore. I certainly am not going to shirk my duties but there are going to be times when there are tough choices to be made and this time I had to be a mom.

Sigh.

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!